BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
v9dduhan
Fluorite | Level 6

Suppose i have call details data in PDF , how can i read it through SAS EG to analyse it further? Any suggession on this ?

I am using SAS EG 5.1 version.

Thanks in Advance

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Do you have SAS Text Miner?  That's the only product I know that supports reading a PDF file. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If someone wants you to do analysis on some data, they better supply that data in a suitable format.

Even EG 7.11 does not have the option of importing PDFs.

You might be able to copy/paste the list data out of the PDF into a text file that can be imported.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

PDF is not a data transfer format, it is a rendered picture of some coding information.  Trust me, you would be better off typing it all in by hand again rather than try to process it.  Go back to the source and ask them to provide the underlying data.

Reeza
Super User

If you have Adobe Pro there's an option to convert the file to text and/or extract table information to a text file. It's a manual step but can be batched if you have multiple files. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

True.  The problem is if you have done anything at all special in the file, it makes it next to impossible to read it without a lot of effort.  Even staright cump of text can lead to all kinds of strange spacings and such like to handle.

Reeza
Super User

The pro conversion helps generate a relatively clean file vs copy and paste. Or the extract table feature. 

ballardw
Super User

Also even the Adobe Pro tools only work if the data was actually converted from something text. I have had to do something similar where the 'data' was actually an image format. Resolution was print to TIFF format then "scan" the resulting image file with character recognition software. Then spend a few hours removing odd characters resulting from poor image quality. That process probably only reduced time from re-typing by about 20 percent. If the document had only been one page instead of 30 I would have retyped it from the start.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation