BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DmitryErshov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I work in SAS EG on virtual machine. My EG project contains about 100 SAS programs which are located in different folders (they are not embedded to project). In order to make backup of programs linked to the project I embed them. In order to embed program I right click on it, go to ‘Properties’, and click ‘Embed’ button. I have to repeat these actions 100 times in order to embed all programs.

My question: is there some way to embed many programs to EG project at once?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Well, it could be made to work with EG Automation.  You can use EG Automation to create a new project, create a new code node with content, and then save the project.

So your process would use VBScript or PowerShell or similar, and would do the following:

• Create an instance of the EG Automation app
  • Create a new project
  • Use native scripting methods to navigate the file system and for each SAS file:
    • create a new code node in the CodeCollection
    • read the content of the SAS file (using scripting file objects)
  • Then, when complete with all files, save the Project file

More details and examples about automation are in this article.

And in this blog post.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Well, it could be made to work with EG Automation.  You can use EG Automation to create a new project, create a new code node with content, and then save the project.

So your process would use VBScript or PowerShell or similar, and would do the following:

• Create an instance of the EG Automation app
  • Create a new project
  • Use native scripting methods to navigate the file system and for each SAS file:
    • create a new code node in the CodeCollection
    • read the content of the SAS file (using scripting file objects)
  • Then, when complete with all files, save the Project file

More details and examples about automation are in this article.

And in this blog post.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

An alternative to your backup approach would be to use a version control tool with your EG programs. You can easily define what programs make up projects within the VC tool and it means embedding the programs into a project is not required. We use this approach and we never lose a program!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation