BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alepage
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

I am converting a dataset into an XML file using EG 7.11.  I have noticed that even if I use xmltype=oracle, when I add a tagset conditions, it replace <ROWSET> for <TABLE>.

Here's my code.  In the first example, I don't use any tagset condition so the root element <ROWSET> remains in the xml file.

However, when I add any tagset condition, the root element is replaced for <TABLE>.

How can we avoid that?

Regards,

%let Path=\\...;
libname trans xml "&Path.\Documents\Test\XML\class.xml" xmltype=oracle;

data trans.class noprint;
   set sashelp.class;
run;
libname trans xml "&Path.\Documents\Test\XML\class.xml" xmltype=oracle
tagset=tagsets.sasxmnsp;

data trans.class noprint;
   set sashelp.class;
run;

1 REPLY 1
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Trying to get exactly what one wants from SAS tagsets has proven, at least for me, to be a difficult task.  What I've done is to write post-processing programs that make some final adjustments to the XML, adjustments I just couldn't figure out how to get SAS to do.

Here's an example.  This post-processing program does two things:  1.  It changes Numeric definitions to Text (so I don't lose leading zeros and such) and it deletes rows after a "MergeAcross".  What I want is to merge several columns on one of the rows.   SAS generates the correct XML in the merged columns... but then writes out the very columns it was supposed to merge.  I could not figure out how to get SAS to write the XML correctly, so I just wrote a quickie program to get rid of the extraneous columns myself.

Below is the code.  Hopefully you can do something like the below to get what you need.  Trying to get SAS to produce exactly what you need in terms of XML is like trying to scratch your ear with your elbow.

Hope this helps,

Jim

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*;

FILENAME	XML_In			"&Output_Path/Temporary_Work_File.Txt";
&NoMacs		%Error_Check	(MsgLvl=&MsgLvl, ErrLvl=&ErrLvl);

FILENAME	XML_Out			"&Output_Path/&Fro_Pro_File";
&NoMacs		%Error_Check	(MsgLvl=&MsgLvl, ErrLvl=&ErrLvl);

**	Post process the xml, deleting cells after a MergeAcross.	**;
DATA	_NULL_;
	RETAIN	_First_Time			1;
	RETAIN	_Delete_Records		0;

IF	_First_Time									THEN
		DO;
			_First_Time						=	0;
			SYSECHO	"Post processing &Fro_Pro_File";
		END;

INFILE	XML_In
		LENGTH								=	_SAS_Length
		;

INPUT	@1	_Entire_Record	$VARYING32767.	_SAS_Length;

IF	MISSING(_Entire_Record)						THEN
		DELETE;

_Entire_Record	=	TRANWRD(_Entire_Record,'<Data ss:Type="Number">','<Data ss:Type="String">');

FILE	XML_Out;

IF	INDEX(_Entire_Record,"MergeAcross")	>	0	THEN
		DO;
			_Delete_Records					=	1;
			PUT	@1	_Entire_Record	$VARYING32767.	_SAS_Length;
		END;
	ELSE
	IF	_Delete_Records								THEN
		IF	INDEX(_Entire_Record,"</Row>")	>	0	THEN
			DO;
				_Delete_Records				=	0;
			END;
		ELSE
			DO;
				DELETE;
			END;
	ELSE
		DO;
		END;
RUN;

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation