BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Andalusia
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a new SAS server and I would like to connect to it with SAS Enterprise Guide, right now when I open SAS EG i only see my current and old server SASApp, cant I change it or add a new server with new hostname?

Andalusia_0-1630328103698.png

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In SAS Enterprise Guide 8.x, you can add your own additional workspace servers -- if you know the server host and port, and have credentials to connect. Documentation here.

In early versions (looks like you might have EG 7.x) you cannot do that. Additional servers must be defined in the SAS Metadata Server that you connect to. The exception is a Local server, which EG can detect automatically and add for you when you have SAS for Windows installed on the same machine as EG.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Andalusia
Obsidian | Level 7
True, I have SAS EG 7.15. So where is the SAS Metadata server and how do I add additional servers to it?
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

That is a SAS admin task. Your SAS admin would use SAS Management Console to add new Logical Workspace definitions to the environment.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Andalusia
Obsidian | Level 7
The server is already added in the SAS management console under Metadata Manager > Active Server. However, the server that is specified there cannot be found in SAS EG.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Andalusia wrote:
The server is already added in the SAS management console under Metadata Manager > Active Server. However, the server that is specified there cannot be found in SAS EG.

The most likely cause for this is that you do not have the necessary permissions for the server metadata. Check this with your SAS admin.

Andalusia
Obsidian | Level 7
I have admin rights in the SAS Management console though...
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Andalusia wrote:
I have admin rights in the SAS Management console though...

No, you don't 😉

The sasadm user cannot be used to start a workspace server session from any client, as it only exists in SAS metadata. Your userid used to connect with EG should not have administrator permissions for the SAS metadata.

If you have a completely new SAS installation with a separate repository and metadata server, you need to set up a metadata profile for that in EG, so it can connect to that server.

If you just want to add an application server context to your existing repository, use the Deployment Manager (or do it "by hand" by creating a directory tree under the Lev1 directory and adding the definition in the metadata).

So what is it that you want to achieve here?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

For a logical Workspace Server to appear in EG, ReadMetadata access to its definition must also be granted to the group of users who need to use it. And as @Kurt_Bremser says, those users also need to have account-level permissions to start a process on the server as (usually) it's their host accounts that are used for the running process.

Independent of EG, you can also test server connection by using the ITConfig tool that is included in the SAS Integration Technologies client (always installed on the same machine as EG and other SAS tools).

ChrisHemedinger_0-1630493707617.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation