BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ysvasulu84
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I have installed SAS Enterprises edition 7.5 on local windows 7.

i am unable to access to local folder .

Note : before posting i have searched realted issues on sas communities, but those issues are purley virual box not local machine

Can anyone help me on how to access local folder.

Thanks 

Sreenu

3 REPLIES 3
jebjur
SAS Employee

If you use the Enterprise Guide menu items such as File - Import Data (for external files) or File -Open - Data (for SAS data sets) then Enterprise Guide can access data on the local PC. If you are submitting code from Enterprise Guide to a remote SAS server, it's the same as submitting code directly in Base SAS on the server. The SAS server most likely is not aware of any drives on your local machine and needs to have access to the file location you specify in the code.

For example, SAS installed on a Unix server would know nothing about the C drive on your local machine. The path name to the files on the PC would need to be read through a third party product which would allow data to be accessed from the Windows drives via the Unix server (Samba or something like it). If you are connecting to a Windows server, than you or a systems admin can map a drive from the SAS server to your local PC.

In a nutshell, if you take Enterprise Guide out of the picture and submit your code directly on the SAS server, if the code works there, it will also work in Eguide.

Another option is to use the custom Copy Files task in Enterprise Guide. This task allows users to copy external files between the SAS server and the local PC. It is included in Eguide 7.13 and later (Tasks - Data - Copy Files), or is available as a custom task in Eguide 7.12 and earlier.

Reeza
Super User

So your installation is not connected to a server?

EG is a thin client that accesses SAS installed somewhere else - but that somewhere else can also be your computer. If you're running a fully local installation you should be able to access your local drive. If you're connecting to a server, its likely that your local access has been turned off. 

@ysvasulu84 wrote:

Hi

I have installed SAS Enterprises edition 7.5 on local windows 7.

i am unable to access to local folder .

Note : before posting i have searched realted issues on sas communities, but those issues are purley virual box not local machine

Can anyone help me on how to access local folder.

Thanks 

Sreenu

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

@jebjur has good information for you. Additionally to Copy Files in SAS EG, there is also a open source file transfer WinSCP. You can transfer files between your SAS Server and Local machine. 

Thanks,
Suryakiran

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation