BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
_SAS_
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey guys,

I have been looking around but I could not find this information, maybe you could help me clarify this ...

I have been using SAS either installed on my local machine, Windows based (usually for small developments) and on the server for deploying the solutions. 

How does SAS Enterprise Guide submits the code to the SAS environment to be executed? Is there a executable that does the actual running? Where would this be located usually? Or is SAS running as a service?

Thanks 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Take a look at the product page:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/enterprise-guide/index.html

And the system requirements:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikeguidesr/68009/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

You will note that most of EG is installed on a server, and locally there is a client.  Code will be sent to the server for execution.

AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

Enterprise Guide uses the so called IOM (Integrated Object Model) Interface to make a connection to a Workspace Server which can be a local or remote SAS Session.

Technically it uses some COM Interfaces.

See also: http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=itechov&docsetTarget=n1fm5i8zyi0kzkn14uwr64dy3pgn.htm&docsetV...

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Sample code in C# (and may not be accurate, but gives an idea):

SAS.Workspace ws = new SAS.WorkSpace();

ws.LanguageService lang = new SAS.LanguageService();

lang.Submit(blah,blah,blah);

It uses the Integration Technologies client for whatever platform and executes it under the covers. Under the hood, it installs as a COM interface. 

https://github.com/savian-net
george_georgiou
SAS Employee

Hello,

My name is George and I am SAS Technical Support Engineer.

Here is a quick explanation of how SAS Enterprise Guide submits code to a SAS server to be executed.

SAS EG in itself is just a visual client interface that allows you to submit code to a SAS server, but without either a Local connection to SAS or a remote SAS server connection, no processing can occur.

When you are connected to a SAS server via SAS EG, you have established what is called a Workspace Session, which is ultimately tied to an actual running SAS executable.  This executable is launched via the Workspaceserver.bat file, which is simply a batch file that calls the SAS process to run with whatever options specified.

Once the code is run and results are generated, they are sent back to SAS EG where the end user can visually see the outcome.

When you connect to a SAS server from EG, you are basically running SAS Foundation on the server.  For example, on a Windows SAS Server, you would actually see a sas.exe process tied to each user running EG (that is connected), from the Windows Task Manager.

SAS on the server is not running as a service, however, the SAS Metadata Server and the SAS Object Spawner are services being run behind the scenes. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

George

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation