BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

Dear all,

How do I stop a runaway EG submitted task*?  I am new to EG but not SAS.  I am remote connecting to licensed SAS Servers (**.**.sas.com) in Cary(?).  I opened EG, ran a task, opened the task log, and clicked "Send To" to send the log to an associate.  An error box opened advising that my session is not set up to send emails. Then the "Send To" "Sending E-Mail" box opened and the green bars began circling.  How do I stop the "Send To" box?  The green bars have been circling for 10 minutes.  If I stop the entire EG session, I lose all my work files. I would prefer shutting down EG.  

*In PC SAS I press "Ctrl-Break" and follow the prompts to stop a runaway request.  "Ctrl-Break" is not responding and I cannot make any of the taskbar buttons activate.

Thank you.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi,

This article describes it for SAS programs that are running:

Cancelling a SAS job gone awry - The SAS Dummy

But your issue sounds like a UI glitch.  If your log is very large, you might simply export it and then attach the file as an e-mail.  If you want to "Send as a step", then you'll need to go into Tools->Options: Administrative and set the e-mail SMTP settings so that EG can send mail on your behalf.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi,

This article describes it for SAS programs that are running:

Cancelling a SAS job gone awry - The SAS Dummy

But your issue sounds like a UI glitch.  If your log is very large, you might simply export it and then attach the file as an e-mail.  If you want to "Send as a step", then you'll need to go into Tools->Options: Administrative and set the e-mail SMTP settings so that EG can send mail on your behalf.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

send to sending email error boxes.bmp

Chris,

The link says to perform task bar options.  I cannot make the task bar items work.  I'm "frozen".  I also cannot make the right-click work anywhere in any of the windows/panels.

Message was edited by: James Willis

Message was edited by: James Willis

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

It sounds like the EG UI is blocked, and you're in a bad state.  You'll probably have to kill the process if you cannot dismiss that e-mail client dialog (clicking OK).

Hopefully EG will have created a backup of your project file that you can recover.  It autosaves the project file every so often...

Chris

jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

Chris,

Thank you for answering.  I read your Blog and was hoping you would respond.  FYI, I have to completely log out of the remote server and kill EG in order to kill the runaway.

Killing the SAS session message box.bmp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation