BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mals
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I'm brand new to sas. I have some files in the temp work folder in sas 9.4. How can I access them in SAS enterprise guide? (I can't even work out how to save them to a permanent library, I'm very new).

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, mals

Let me add a bit to the very good comments from the other experts.

I recommend you only use Enterprise Guide until you get a little more familiar with SAS. In addition to the point-and-click tasks, you can also create and run SAS code using File -> New -> Program, so you have the best of both worlds.

As the others have mentioned, but it bears repeating, the WORK library is created fresh every time you run EG, and removed at the end of your session. So nothing can be kept there after the end of a session. Frequently in EG the SASUSER library is a permanent library that's only available to you, but this can vary from one installation to another. If you're unsure, you can check with your SAS administrator.

To see your SAS libraries, and the contents, there is a "server list" display in EG. If you can't see it, use View -> Server List, and once it's open, click down through Servers, the server you're using (there may only be one), and Libraries.

There is a tutorial in the Help in EG. It's well worth working your way through.

To move files around is a common task in SAS, and there are many ways to do it. When you're starting out, I suggest the following:
1. Open the source dataset by finding it in the server list, and double clicking on it. This should open it in your EG workspace.
2. Click on the Query Builder button. This will create a new query, based on your open dataset.
3. Drag whichever variables you want to copy to the right side of the Select Data tab.
4. In the Output Name: box at the top right, click on Change... and work your way up and down the list of libraries and servers until you get to where you want the copy to go. Type in the file name, and click Save.
5. From the main Query Builder window, click Run. This should make a copy of your dataset in your selected destination (for now, experiment with the Work library, which won't damage anything that someone else needs. If you have a SASUSER library, you should be safe using it as well.)

Have fun, and don't hesitate to post more questions to this community!

Tom

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

Are you trying to use the GUI portion of EG or are you trying to learn how to code?

mals
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm hoping to use the GUI and avoid having to learn too much coding. The data files I have in the WORK folder in SAS I made using code I borrowed from someone else. I just can't work out how to move them from there into the EG. They don't appear when I try to open the work folder through servers. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your WORK files - datasets - should show in the EG Server List under the library WORK as long as you still have the SAS session you created them in open. I suggest you check out the online resources for learning about EG like this one:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/guide/index.html#s1=2

mals
Fluorite | Level 6

I've tried doing that, but they don't seem to appear. Thanks very much for sending me the resources!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try running another test that creates a WORK dataset. In the program editor type in and run this. Then open the WORK library again - do you see TEST? You might need to do a REFRESH on the library first.

data test;
  set sashelp.class;
run;

mals
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes I can see the test in the sas library, but if I try to open it through EG it doesn't appear either

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Check the Properties on the EG WORK library - is it pointing at the same folder as one you can see through Windows Explorer(?).

Also do you have an experienced SAS person to help check out this problem in person? It would be a lot faster than trying to fix via the SAS Community.

Reeza
Super User

@mals wrote:

Yes I can see the test in the sas library, but if I try to open it through EG it doesn't appear either

What do you mean? Are you using both Base SAS and EG? 

Your work space is a temp location that changes from session to session. 

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, mals

Let me add a bit to the very good comments from the other experts.

I recommend you only use Enterprise Guide until you get a little more familiar with SAS. In addition to the point-and-click tasks, you can also create and run SAS code using File -> New -> Program, so you have the best of both worlds.

As the others have mentioned, but it bears repeating, the WORK library is created fresh every time you run EG, and removed at the end of your session. So nothing can be kept there after the end of a session. Frequently in EG the SASUSER library is a permanent library that's only available to you, but this can vary from one installation to another. If you're unsure, you can check with your SAS administrator.

To see your SAS libraries, and the contents, there is a "server list" display in EG. If you can't see it, use View -> Server List, and once it's open, click down through Servers, the server you're using (there may only be one), and Libraries.

There is a tutorial in the Help in EG. It's well worth working your way through.

To move files around is a common task in SAS, and there are many ways to do it. When you're starting out, I suggest the following:
1. Open the source dataset by finding it in the server list, and double clicking on it. This should open it in your EG workspace.
2. Click on the Query Builder button. This will create a new query, based on your open dataset.
3. Drag whichever variables you want to copy to the right side of the Select Data tab.
4. In the Output Name: box at the top right, click on Change... and work your way up and down the list of libraries and servers until you get to where you want the copy to go. Type in the file name, and click Save.
5. From the main Query Builder window, click Run. This should make a copy of your dataset in your selected destination (for now, experiment with the Work library, which won't damage anything that someone else needs. If you have a SASUSER library, you should be safe using it as well.)

Have fun, and don't hesitate to post more questions to this community!

Tom

mals
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! This looks like it will work for me. I really appreciate everyone's help

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Typically you can't access saswork from another application. It is temporary and local to that SAS session.
It sounds that you need to leave your SAS 9.4 and focus only how to use EG.
Are you having a single user license with a local SAS server?
If you are using a shared SAS server contact the SAS Admin so thar he/she can get you started.
Also, check out the free tutorials/training on support.Sas.com.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 5 in conversation