BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
runningjay
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm using SAS EG Version 7.13. I have a field that contains nine values. When creating a summary table and using either the Summary Tables wizard or the Summary Tables function the order the values appear in rows or columns is always alphabetical. How can I select the order the values appear as either rows or columns instead of the alphabetical selection or the value with the largest value?

For example if my field is FOOD and my values are Apple, Banana, Carrot, Eggplant and Mushroom I want the row order (or column order) to appear as the following:

Mushroom

Carrot

Banana

Apple

Eggplant

Thanks for any guidance on how to do this in SAS EG Summary Tables wizard or Summary Tables function.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

If your dataset is already sorted in the order you want (Mushroom, Carrot, etc.), then:

1.  Run Summary Tables (not wizard)

2.  Add your classification variable

3.  Under the options for that classification variable once added is "Sort by"; you can choose "Data Set Order"

Then it will come out in the order that the classification variable is encountered in the dataset.

If that is not possible (if you don't have it sorted that way), you can do it with a custom format, but it's not doable directly in the task.

For reference, you have four options: Formatted, Unformatted, Dataset Order, or Descending, in that particular task. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Use formats.  So set a format to something like:

proc format;
  value fruit
    1="Mushroom" 
    2="Carrot"
...; run;

Then convert your data to be 1 2 3 etc. and apply the format to it:

data want;
  set have;
  select(fruit);
    when ("Mushroom") fruit_code=1;
    when ("Carrot") fruit_code=2;
    ...;
  end;
  format fruit_code fruit.;
run;

This way the text will be displayed, but the underlying sort would use the unformatted number.  As for "SAS EG Summary Tables wizard or Summary Tables function" - no idea, I only work in code as its most flexible.

runningjay
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a way to do this within SAS EG's wizards, but this is helpful.

snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

If your dataset is already sorted in the order you want (Mushroom, Carrot, etc.), then:

1.  Run Summary Tables (not wizard)

2.  Add your classification variable

3.  Under the options for that classification variable once added is "Sort by"; you can choose "Data Set Order"

Then it will come out in the order that the classification variable is encountered in the dataset.

If that is not possible (if you don't have it sorted that way), you can do it with a custom format, but it's not doable directly in the task.

For reference, you have four options: Formatted, Unformatted, Dataset Order, or Descending, in that particular task. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation