BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mendezla
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to pull data from a very large data warehouse using SAS EG.  I was told I need to pull the data a specific way in order to get the data correctly.  I have to use PROC SQL.

The Problem:  In this data warehouse there are patient pharmacy records.  We need to find the "needle in the haystack".  We need to find any and all patients that have two or more IDs.  In order to find them we will have records for a patient with the same SSN, but different IDs.  In addition, I'm a Base SAS Programmer and I'm using SAS EG version 7.00 HF5 (7.100.1.2856) (64 bit), so I'm not doing a project, just trying to run the program.

To test, I was only pulling one week of data, just to see if my code runs, however, since it is large, the system only wants to pull back 1M rows.  So, I figured if I can only pull back those records that have two or more IDs for the same SSN, I should have a very small dataset.  However, I'm failing.

Below is my code:

proc sql;
   create table multiple_ssns as
   select distinct t2.MemberProfile, t2.MemberSSN
   FROM 
      SQLODBC.Claim_Fact t1 INNER JOIN SQLODBC.Patient_Dimension t2
      ON (t1.PatientKey=t2.PatientKey)
   WHERE
      (t1.DateDispensedKey BETWEEN 20170501 AND 20170530)
      AND t1.claimstatus = 'Paid'
;
quit;

Now, before you tell me this code won't work correctly, I know.  This is the code that gives me more than 1M records.  I tried adding a Group by and Having statement, but that didn't work as expected, either (see below).

GROUP BY t2.MemberSSN
HAVING count(Distinct t1.MemberProfile) > 1

I only need a list of SSNs and IDs.  I expect to see output (in a dataset) something like this with less than 100 observations (we know there aren't very many):

MemberSSN                 MemberProfile

123-45-6789                 5555555

123-45-6789                 6666666

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to try them out.  P.S.  I did try to do a Proc Freq after the Proc SQL data pull, but I got an out of resources error.  So, I was advised by the other programmer here that we should do all data pulls with criteria using Proc SQL.

Thank you,

L.

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I wouldn't expect either Group By or Having to restrict your input to 1M rows since Group By operates on the result set and Having operates on the result of aggregate functions so therefore also would not affect the input. You appear to be using ODBC but I think altering the first line of your code to:

Proc SQL inobs=1000000;

should still work. Only 1M rows should be read from the DB table

Chris

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would try something like this:

proc sql;
   create table multiple_ssns as
   select t2.MemberProfile, t2.MemberSSN,
             count(*) as SSN_Count
   FROM 
      SQLODBC.Claim_Fact t1 INNER JOIN SQLODBC.Patient_Dimension t2
      ON (t1.PatientKey=t2.PatientKey)
   WHERE
      (t1.DateDispensedKey BETWEEN 20170501 AND 20170530)
      AND t1.claimstatus = 'Paid'
   GROUP BY t2.MemberProfile, t2.MemberSSN
   HAVING count(*) > 1
;
quit;
mendezla
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you both for your suggestions to my issue.  Unfortunately, I was pulled off this project to work on something else, and before I could go back and work on it, I left the client site (contract issue), so I am unable to let you know if your suggestions would have worked or not.  I apologize for not following up sooner.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation