BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DocStocks
Calcite | Level 5

I have recently moved my research folder so that now the file paths in my Process Flow are wrong. I know I can manually change each file in my PF, but this is tedious. Also, now that my research files are in my DropBox folder and linked to my office computer, I would like to be able to work from both machines. Unless I can quickly change the base file path, this idea seems untenable. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DocStocks
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks all for the tips, but I do believe they are overkill for my situation. Sometimes we get so steeped in complixity (e.g. PhD preparation), that we forget that easy solutions still do exist. To wit:

Solution: moved both my DropBox folders from each machine's My Documents folder, which have different roots, to c:\.  Then I just had to update the PF file paths on one machine and I'm done. I could smack myself for wasting time on this. Thanks again though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

DS,

While I'm not familiar with EG, it requires the same critical ingredient of every other system design effort: sufficient planning and then enactment of those plans.  A nice article, with some good how to suggestions, can be found at: http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Determining_the_filepath_root_in_Enterprise_Guide

DocStocks
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Art,

Thanks for the response. I don't think this is quite what I need for my situation. I did try following the steps, but got stuck here:

Defining the EG Default File Path

So you will want EG in each environment to point to the appropriate directory. Assuming there is a separate Metadata Server for each environment you can accomplish this by going into SMC for each environment and:

• Expand Server Manager
    • Expand SASMain
    • Expand SASMain - Workspace Server
    • Right click on SASMain - Workspace Server (at the bottom of the tree)
    • Select Options
    • Select Advanced Options
    • Select File Navigation Tab
    • Select Path and fill in the right value for the current environment (e.g., Dev or Test or Prod or whatever)

I can't find the Server Manger referenced. Again though, I think this is more than I need (my server knowledge is quite limited fyi). Perhaps I was not clear enough in my original post, let me try again:

1. I have SAS/SG on two machines. One is my laptop and the other my work desktop.

2. My research folder (with code and data) is linked to both via DropBox.

3. The Problem: the root path to my /DropBox/Research Folder is different on each machine.

4. Since I want to change one Process Flow and have it saved within project and then updated via DB to the other machine, I would like to be able to easily change the root file path within the Process Flow. Perhaps with two programs I can run before starting to work, depending on which machine I am on.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Doc,

I have had to do that in EGuide before; I don't have the metadata server, so Art's approach didn't work for me.  The first time is painful, but then the maintenance is easy.

You have to convert all of your direct file names to libnames.  You can leave WORK, but you will even need to redefine SASUSER as that points to the C:drive by default.  So, decide on the LIBNAMES that you need and set them up in the project.  I usually create a separate process flow for assigning the libnames, autoexec works well for me in EG 4.3. 

Create the libnames for one locale.

Connect them together in a path (right-click, then link to).

Get everything working with those libnames.

For the second locale:

In the same process flow.

Create a separate set of libnames, with the same names, but pointing to the other locale.

thread them together.

The threads are nice because you can right-click on the first one and run them all.

If you set the autoexec to run automatically when opening the project, then put the locale that you use most often later in the process flow.  When you are in the other locale, you can just re-run the first thread.

This approach works with the point-n-click of EGuide.  If you want to write code, you can use the SAS macro language and the various  &sys____ macro variables to find out which system you are on and assign the libnames appropriately.  It is more elegant, but a bit less transparent.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

DocStocks
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks all for the tips, but I do believe they are overkill for my situation. Sometimes we get so steeped in complixity (e.g. PhD preparation), that we forget that easy solutions still do exist. To wit:

Solution: moved both my DropBox folders from each machine's My Documents folder, which have different roots, to c:\.  Then I just had to update the PF file paths on one machine and I'm done. I could smack myself for wasting time on this. Thanks again though.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Glad to hear that you found a way to do what you want but, do realize, doing dissertation research is just the start of one's career.  When you get out into the "real" world, think carefully about how one's data, code and output are or should be stored.  When one is working on the equivalent of 20 or 30 dissertations simultaneously, and have an unknown number of people working on the different projects, the use of the c:\ drive won't be sufficient.  It is the one drive in Windows that has a defined limit above and beyond storage capacity.

DocStocks
Calcite | Level 5

Art, I completely agree. While my focus is on learning the theory, econometrics, and stat software, I do pay attention and appreciate more and more the importance of good data management for the start of a project.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation