BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
atran2
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi folks,

I'm newer to SAS and basically I'm looking to automate some Excel tasks. The current process looks like this:

1. Data team sends us a data extract via .xlsx (they auto-drop it into the same Google Drive shared folder everyday at a specific time)
  2. We copy and paste the data from that .xlsx workbook to an "intermediary workbook", which contain various Excel formulae that perform further calculations on the data and structures it in the right way for SAP to easily ingest (next step). 
  3. We take the output of the intermediary workbook and paste it into the final macro-enabled workbook. This workbook has macros which create a .csv copy of the data we pasted in  initially and drop it to a specific filepath location on our Shared Network Drive, which SAP automatically ingests as an end of day process, which updates the respective data in SAP.

What I would like to do is:

1. Use SAS to ingest the initial .xlsx data file
  2. Replace the "intermediary" workbook by replicating the Excel formulaic calculations in SAS
  3. Replace the final macro-enabled workbook by pushing the .csv output file to a specific Windows S: Drive file location.

My only challenge right now is that I'm essentially using SAS Enterprise Guide for a task that isn't a super common use-case. The intention however is to reduce human error that comes with copy/paste activities, as well as streamline the process into one comprehensive SAS program with an audit trail of what the program is doing each day rather than leave it up to a spreadsheet tool to do it. What are your guys thoughts as to how feasible this is and how would I get started at a high level to accomplish this?

What I figured would be a good first step is to simply grab the .xlsx file from Google Drive, then paste it into the existing "Intermediary Workbook" and then pick up the output and paste it into the "final macro workbook", basically replacing only the human steps. The next step after that would be to try to tackle the actual Excel workbooks themselves and see if we can replicate the functionality of that intermediary workbook.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

A better option would be to get your data team to provide a delimited file (CSV), read that into SAS and do all of your calculations in SAS not Excel then get SAS to update SAP via SAS/ACCESS to SAP (don't know if you have this). That way you can fully automate the process with no manual intervention.

I would avoid Excel if at all possible plus manual interventions for data importation and processing as these are just recipes for things to go wrong. With Excel you cannot fully control how data is read.

atran2
Fluorite | Level 6

Hey, I might be able to get the data as .csv but part of the challenge is there is some components of the process which rely on Bloomberg add-in for Excel, which we can't get that type of functionality elsewhere. As a result, the most "lean" we can get is a single Excel sheet with a bunch of cells pulling Bloomberg data and using that as an input for further calculation.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK, then read the Bloomberg data into SAS also and do your calculations there.

It may also be possible to pull the Bloomberg data directly with SAS if there is a public interface.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation