BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to find this... I am setting up some macros to automate reports to get on to more interesting projects... I am using the INTX function for date ranges.

i.e. beginning and end of a month (in a data null step)

call symputx('BEGDATE' , "'" || put(intnx('month',today(),-13,'BEGIN'),yymmdd10.) || "'");

call symputx('ENDDATE' , "'" || put(intnx('month',today(),-1,'END'),yymmdd10.) || "'");

Output '2010-10-01' or '2011-09-30'

This works great.  However, I have another date value that is stored as YYYYMM (i.e. 201010 or 201109 from above examples).

So I wrote the following:

call symputx('prev_beg' , "'" || put(intnx('year' ,today(),-1),YEAR.)|| put(intnx('month',today(),-1,'END'),MONTH.) || "'");

call symputx('prev_end' , "'" || put(intnx('year' ,today(),0),YEAR.) || put(intnx('month',today(),-2,'END'),MONTH.) || "'");

However, if the month is Jan - Sep (1-9), it doesn't give a preceeding zero.  Is there any known format to include this?  Or do I just need to use some conditional formatting?

Google doesn't seem to have the answer... so if you ever have had to do this I appreciate any input!

Thanks!

--Russell                   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why not use the YYMMDDN8. format and just take the first 6 characters?

substr(put(intnx('month',today(),-13,'BEGIN'),yymmddn8.),1,6)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why not use the YYMMDDN8. format and just take the first 6 characters?

substr(put(intnx('month',today(),-13,'BEGIN'),yymmddn8.),1,6)

RussellNonBrand
Calcite | Level 5

Works great!  Sometimes the easiest answers are overlooked... haha.  Thanks!

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Russell

I am a bit late spotting this, but

even simpler is the date format YYMMN.  needing no substringing -

as discovered by the "format hunter" data step

data formats_found_in_hunt ;

set  sashelp.vformat ;

where fmttype = 'F' ;        * just formats; 

where also fmtname ne: '$' ; * and not character formats;

length nd $40 ;

nd = putn( "25-Sep-2010"d,  fmtname );

if _error_ then do ;

_error_ = 0 ;

delete ;

end ;

if left(nd) =: '201009' ;

put fmtname= nd= ;

run;

this reports to the log

54   run;

fmtname=B8601DA nd=20100925

NOTE: Argument 2 to function PUTN at line 47 column 9 is invalid.

fmtname=YYMMDDN nd=20100925

fmtname=YYMMN nd=201009

NOTE: There were 587 observations read from the data set SASHELP.VFORMAT.

WHERE (fmttype='F') and (fmtname not =: '$');

The NOTE is interesting, but the important thing is

fmtname=YYMMN nd=201011

then you can adapt

call symputx('prev_beg' , "'" || put(intnx('year' ,today(),-1),YEAR.)|| put(intnx('month',today(),-1,'END'),MONTH.) || "'");

call symputx('prev_end' , "'" || put(intnx('year' ,today(),0),YEAR.) || put(intnx('month',today(),-2,'END'),MONTH.) || "'");

to

call symputx( 'prev_beg2', quote( put( intnx( 'month', today(), -2  ), yymmn.))) ;

call symputx( 'prev_end2', quote( put( intnx( 'month', today(), -13 ), yymmn.))) ;

but that quote() function seems unable to override its "default quote" double quote, so

call symputx( 'prev_beg3', "'" !! put( intnx( 'month', today(), -2  ), yymmn.) !! "'" ) ;

call symputx( 'prev_end3', "'" !! put( intnx( 'month', today(), -13 ), yymmn.) !! "'" ) ;

I do prefer to avoid a data step for this when it seems not much more syntax to do it in a %LET like

%let prev_beg4 = %str(%')%sysfunc( intnx( month, "&sysdate"d, -13 ), yymmN )%str(%') ;

%let prev_end4 = %str(%')%sysfunc( intnx( month, "&sysdate"d, -2  ), yymmN )%str(%') ;

%put previously from &prev_beg4 to &prev_end4 ;

which reports to my SASlog

88   %put previously from &prev_beg4 to &prev_end4 ;

previously from '201010' to '201109'

RussellNonBrand
Calcite | Level 5

Wow Peter - that is too cool!!!!  Thank you so much, I love these little tips and tricks most people never hear about! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation