BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ljim1075
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a field_name that it's format is $1, meaning 1 character value.  I'm trying to pull the values that are in lowercase ONLY.  Can you assist?

query:

proc print data=tera.Table_A (obs=10);
where field_name in ('b');
run;

When I run the above query it returns all uppercase 'B' and lowercase 'b'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ljim1075
Obsidian | Level 7

Reeza,

Based on the info that you've provided, I've found this doc: https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/91pdf/sasdoc_913/access_teradata_9298.pdf which clarifies some of the case sensitive issues with Teradata.  To solve for 90% of my issue I've added DBSLICEPARM = All into my Libname statement and it worked!  Now I say 90% solved, because when I run a PROC FREQ statement it still does not count the lowercase values.

Overall, thank you for the info!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

@ljim1075 wrote:

I have a field_name that it's format is $1, meaning 1 character value.  I'm trying to pull the values that are in lowercase ONLY.  Can you assist?

query:

proc print data=tera.Table_A (obs=10);
run;

When I run the above query it returns all uppercase 'B' and lowercase 'b'

Are you sure that's what's happening?

Can you post the output and log?

That shouldn't happen AFAIK.

Also, is tera.table_A a SAS dataset or is it a data set from a server? If server, what type?

EDIT: Cannot replicate your issue, does the example below run as expected

data have;
input field_name $1.;
cards;
b
B
a
c
C
d
d
D
b
b
B
f
;
run;

proc print data=have(obs=10);
run;
ljim1075
Obsidian | Level 7

Reeza,

Thank you for your response!  I've ran your query and it worked perfectly, but when i run it on my end on my server Teradata table, see results below:

ljim1075_0-1634926905304.png

When I look for the particular primary key the I know it has lower case, see response below:

ljim1075_1-1634927090203.png

Also when I submit a proc freq query, see response below:

ljim1075_2-1634927209396.png

It almost assumes that 'J' and 'j' are the same

There are no errors in the log.  Let me know what you think...

TY!

Reeza
Super User
Teradata can have columns that are casespecific or noncasespecific. Can you check the attributes on that column in Teradata?
I suspect that's the issue.

https://docs.teradata.com/r/1DcoER_KpnGTfgPinRAFUw/G2qHRG2iKwM5d1Ui61MgCA
ljim1075
Obsidian | Level 7

Reeza,

Based on the info that you've provided, I've found this doc: https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/91pdf/sasdoc_913/access_teradata_9298.pdf which clarifies some of the case sensitive issues with Teradata.  To solve for 90% of my issue I've added DBSLICEPARM = All into my Libname statement and it worked!  Now I say 90% solved, because when I run a PROC FREQ statement it still does not count the lowercase values.

Overall, thank you for the info!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation