BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
spg
Obsidian | Level 7 spg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there,

I'm new to SAS EG and am having trouble working with it. I cannot create SAS datasets from EG as SAS is not installed locally.

When I import a CSV file into EG and try to filter on the variables, it gives me an ERROR saying that the file WORK.XXX does not exist. What do I have to do to be able to be able to filter on a variable in this dataset and create a new one with reduced variables?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
dkb
Quartz | Level 8 dkb
Quartz | Level 8

Did you create an EG project, import the CSV file into WORK, close the project thus ending your SAS session and losing your work directory, then reopen the project and discover the work table doesn't exist?  If so, just import into a permanent library instead of WORK.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

when you import the csv look at the code that EG builds, and the log.  Make sure you are referencing the same data set name that EG is using.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Echoing what others have said:

• by default, the Import Data task will generate a data set in WORK, a temporary library that is deleted at the end of your SAS session.
  • You can change the Import Data task to place the output data in a permanent library, one that persists from session to session.  Either a SAS admin can create something like that for your use or you can assign it yourself using the LIBNAME statement in a program before the Import task.
  • If you're working on a SAS Grid environment where the SAS node might be different from task to task (as work is assigned to balance the load), you will need to use a shared WORK location (a.k.a. GRIDWORK) to keep a semipermanent set of data sets that can be shared across the grid nodes during your SAS Enterprise Guide session.  This behavior is facilitated for you with varying degrees, depending on what version of SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS you have.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
spg
Obsidian | Level 7 spg
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you all. Yes, the file was being saved temporarily in the Work environment...but neither the filter nor the query builder would work. I tried writing a sql code today instead....and it works just fine. Maybe it is one those quirks I have to get used to?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

That should not be the case -- the Query Builder should work with this data.  I recommend that you work with SAS Tech Support to see what's going on, as it might affect your ability to run other tasks against this imported data.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
spg
Obsidian | Level 7 spg
Obsidian | Level 7

Oh ok. Will do Chris. Thank you again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation