BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

I have a timestamp field that displays as DDMMMYYYY:HH:MM:SS.  I need to get to the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc) for this field.  When I insert a computed field and simply try to format this field as DOWNAME9., I get a return of *********.  Can someone point me to a solution for this?  Keep in mind that I am using the Enterprise Guide query builder and have no experience with coding.
I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Rita Yee

Project Engineer

FedEx Express

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

you want to create a variable that is datepart(timestamp)

and then the DOWNAME9. format should work

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

you want to create a variable that is datepart(timestamp)

and then the DOWNAME9. format should work

--
Paige Miller
RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks so much.  I just had a "blonde moment" 🙂  I'm still trying to figure out where and when to just reformat versus when to apply a function before formatting.  

Hi again Paige,

So, I'm getting what I wanted in the way of the weekday name, but I still have an issue. 

This computed column is DayName and is shown as

datepart(t1.arrdate)  which is formatted to DOWNAME9.

After this step, I want to use DayName to determine way the data is grouped.  (This is hard to explain)  In short,  I assign numbers to the days based on their name (1-7).  I change the order in which they are assigned based on the day an issue happened.  So, if we had an issue on Tuesday, Tuesday would be assigned 1, Wednesday would be 2, Thursday is 3, until Monday becomes 7.  The reasoning is that I have 4 weeks worth of data and I want like-days grouped together.  In this scenario,  all 4 Tuesdays will be grouped together in the outcome.  That way, I can compare the day of the issue (Current Tuesday) with the previous three Tuesdays.

The code in the computed column is:

CASE
WHEN (datepart(t1.arrdate))='MONDAY' THEN 7
WHEN (datepart(t1.arrdate))='TUESDAY' THEN 1
WHEN (datepart(t1.arrdate))='WEDNESDAY' THEN 2
WHEN (datepart(t1.arrdate))='THURSDAY' THEN 3
WHEN (datepart(t1.arrdate))='FRIDAY' THEN 4
WHEN (datepart(t1.arrdate))='SATURDAY' THEN 5
ELSE 6
END

When trying to create the computed column, I get the following: 

ERROR: Expression using equals (=) has components that are of different data types.

Keep in mind that I am migrating a program previously written for Hyperion.  There may be an easier way to do this in SAS.  I'm too new to really know all that is available at this point.  I only use the designer in Enterprise Guide, too, so that may have limitations.

WHEN WEEKDAY(datepart(t1.arrdate))=2 THEN 7

See the documentation for the WEEKDAY function

http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmmvacdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=p0...

--
Paige Miller
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

will this help?

data want;
var=datetime();/*today's datetime value for example*/
dayofweek=put(datepart(var),weekdate9. -l);
format var datetime20.;
run;
RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the help.  Paige reminded me of what I'd missed 🙂  I posted another issue here, so if you have any suggestions for my problem, I'm open!

"The fact that I ask for help simply means I am inexperienced and under-educated. Please don't assume I am incompetent and uneducated."

I love that line. 🙂  Did anybody assume so ? I would like to meet that Einstein 

RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

I've run into a few condescending derrieres here. 🙂  

This helped me with another issue... how to comment inside the code for my computed field.   THANKS 😄

Ok try

CASE
WHEN upcase(put(datepart(t1.arrdate),DOWNAME9.))='MONDAY' THEN 7

ELSE 6
END

If the above works. please repeat for all other when conditions as well

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation