BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
car
Calcite | Level 5 car
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I  have  to export  30 different  files residing  in  SAS libraries  in  zOS to Excel spreadsheets  in  my computer.

PROC  EXPORT doesn't  work in  this  context, so I have to  go  through  the  tedious  task  of  using  the  file/export   option in  Enterprise  guide and,  for  every  single  file  to export, do  5  clicks.

That is:

1-  CHOOSE SAS library  file  to  export

2-  Define  target  format (Excel)

3-  Select  option  to  keep  labels

4-  Destination (Deep  dive  through  my  C:  that is  not  retained  for  the next  time)

5-  Validate and GO!

It's a  little  bit painful.

Does  someone  know a shorter/clever way  to do it? 

It  would  be  nice  if  I  could  reuse  my  first  effort  for the  29 pending  exports to be  done (changing  only  the files  names).

Thanks a  lot

7 REPLIES 7
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

- Using pcfiles server.

- Creating CSV files and do sftp

- using sas-base on pc-windows doing the conversion.

- having amo

There are enough short and clever ways. It is more the question why those are not supported / available

---->-- ja karman --<-----
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Jaap is right, you should check first if those options are available for you (ask your admin) and if not, maybe you can ask for the license more suitable for your needs.

Reeza
Super User

Here's an example of doing it with a custom add in. Basically do all the exports to your server then migrate the files to you C drive at once.  Use a naming convention to help with the migration as you can use wild cards.

There and back again: copying files in SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

Export and download any file from SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You have z/OS, so you have an IT department and scheduling.

Create SAS jobs that write .csv files (or use tagsets.excelxp to write .xml), have them run regularly by your DC people, and have them transfer the results to a network location where you can pick them up.

car
Calcite | Level 5 car
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks to all  of you.

I'll try  Creating CSV files and do sftp option.

The  other options:

- Copy Files task for SAS Enterprise Guide:  Is  quite  attractive.  However, unfortunately, I'm not  allowed  to install  anything  in PC if  it  hasn't  been  certified  previously  by platform responsible (Windows team in  this  case). 

- Jobs and scheduling: It  would make  sense  if this  process  had  to be executed  regularly, but  this  is not  the  case.  It  is  a  one-time  effort.

Best  Regards,

Reeza
Super User

Add-In's aren't "installed" they just need to be placed in the correct folder, where EG is looking for them. As long as you have access it should be fine.

That being said, I've found that in my environment I don't have access Smiley Sad

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Reeza,  add-ins and files that are copies can fall into a the "installed" software classification. The IT department likes to have copy deploy only applications.

The whole SDW approach of SAS not wanting to follow common processes is a nasty acceptation problem for IT alignment and cooperation.

I post and repeat that often, sorry for that. Just hoping for recognition and change.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation