BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ThomasD
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I prepare tables in SAS EG 4.3 to later export them to SAS. All variables are character fields.

After exporting, every cell in the excel-file automatically gets preceded by an apostrophe ( ' ).

I strongly suspect this to be problematic when importing that excel-file into another application.

I am not able to change this. Things I tried to undo this:

• copying the data into another excel
  • lift all kinds of file and cell securities

Can someone explain

• why the apostrophe is there ? To mark a text/character field ?
  • how to remove the apostrophes in every cell ?

Thank you.

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The leading apostrophe or single quote is used to signify character fields. Welcome to the wonderful world of Excel, and The Folly That Is Thinking That Excel Is Any Good For Business Intelligence.

If you remove the leading single quote, fields with numeric values will be treated as numbers in Excel (leading 0s removed etc).

ThomasD
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. That answers my first question.

If it were possible, I'd export my SAS table directly into that other application. However, that application only welcomes excel-files.

And the main problem remains: I'm not able to remove the leading single quotes. (Or more accurate: if I remove it, Excel automatically puts it back.)

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

However, that application only welcomes excel-files.

Does that mean only .xls and .xlsx, or anything that is also accepted by excel, like .xml or .csv?

user24feb
Barite | Level 11

I can't offer a perfect fix, but you might either use the trim-function in excel (depends on your data), or export as csv and open with excel or use proc export, or in excel: "data" > "text to columns" > text qualifier = none.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation