BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JSJ
Quartz | Level 8 JSJ
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

This SAS EG error occurs when I am sending my output to excel.  It could be that I inadvertently clicked on a cell that it interpreted as being an update to a value? We don't ever update values through EG. Maybe there is a way to turn this off?

Displaying image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

By "output", do you mean data or results?  If results, HTML, SAS Report, PDF, ...?

If data, you may be encountering this...

As a side-effect of a recent performance improvement (to re-use existing Excel process if one exists), if you start editing a cell in an Excel worksheet while EG is sending data to Excel, the send-to-Excel operation will be interrupted and you'll get an error message.  To avoid, do not edit any Excel cells while EG is sending data to Excel or make sure no Excel instances are open before you start the send-to-Excel from EG.  We plan to fix this in a future release.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

By "output", do you mean data or results?  If results, HTML, SAS Report, PDF, ...?

If data, you may be encountering this...

As a side-effect of a recent performance improvement (to re-use existing Excel process if one exists), if you start editing a cell in an Excel worksheet while EG is sending data to Excel, the send-to-Excel operation will be interrupted and you'll get an error message.  To avoid, do not edit any Excel cells while EG is sending data to Excel or make sure no Excel instances are open before you start the send-to-Excel from EG.  We plan to fix this in a future release.

JSJ
Quartz | Level 8 JSJ
Quartz | Level 8

To answer your question, I am sending the results of a query to excel from SAS EG.

I suspected it was some multi tasking activity conflict... 

Do you happen to know if this is more likely to happen when I am sending to excel, verses doing an export to excel?

Thanks so much!
Jo

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Jo,

The issue I'm referring to only impacts Send To Excel.  It does not impact Export to Excel.  So that would be another workaround.

Casey

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, Casey

I'm not even sure this is an issue for SAS to fix. I've noticed the same type of behaviour with other apps and Excel; If, without thinking, I edit a cell in Excel and don't end the edit, then copy/paste behaviour with Excel behaves oddly. I think it may be a "feature" of Excel.

Tom

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hey Tom,

You are correct about that being an Excel behavior (if an Excel cell is in edit mode, certain other operations cannot be completed).  We are definitely running into that Excel behavior, but EG may be able to work around it to provide a better experience.  For example, we may go back to launching a new Excel process, rather than re-using an existing Excel process (so editing a cell in the existing doesn't interfere with sending data to the new one).  We are evaluating our options.

Casey

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation