BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

sas eg error message.jpg

Hi All, my teammates have sas newly installed in pc and got the above message when trying to use it. Any idea what could be the problem? ping.jpgjust had sas eg installed but cannot use it, showing error message in the above attached picture. I also pinged it. What could be the problem? what other test can I do to trouble shoot? how to resolve?

17 REPLIES 17
HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

Hi my colleague just have sas enterprise guide installed but couldnt connect to metadata server.

how to resolve? we tried ping and it can communicate. What could have gone wrong?

please see attached pic. sas eg error message 1.jpgping.jpg

Ksharp
Super User
You could add new connected string by 'Add User' button.(Make sure the configure information are all right)
And double click the new one to connect SAS server again.
HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

thanks KSharp. please could you elaborate more? where is the 'add user' button? As I am supporting my client and dont have enterprise guide interface myself I am not able to test. If it is possible, please could you solutions in great details. Thanks.

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

thanks

after press add button, what do i need?

Ksharp
Super User
All the configure information for new connecting string. UserName ,Password,IP Address,Port Number ...... etc.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@HeatherNewton wrote:

thanks KSharp. please could you elaborate more? where is the 'add user' button? As I am supporting my client and dont have enterprise guide interface myself I am not able to test. If it is possible, please could you solutions in great details. Thanks.

You're either the SAS Admin with all the necessary tools and permissions or you need to refer your client to the site SAS admin ....and then eventually support this admin in a screen share session if it's your client and the responsible person is only SAS admin by title (which in turn is a sign of insufficient project handover). If your client is not capable (or too small) to hire a capable SAS Admin then they are eventually a candidate for a SAS managed environment where SAS provides the SAS admin services.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please post your questions only once, even when they're urgent.

Make sure that the SAS Metadata Server is up and running on the specified host (can other users from other computers connect to it?). Your SAS admin can assist in this.

The answer to this question will decide which steps to follow next.

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

yes definitely it is running fine and a lot of other people can use it

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then you need to check the connection between the afflicted computer and the metadata server.

1. Does the server name (always use the fully qualified domain name, in the connection profile in EG and when using ping or other OS tools) resolve to the same numerical IP address?
  2. Are there any security tools running on the PC which might block the specific port (or even block EG completely from attempting any outside connection)?
  3. Are there any firewalls / intelligent routers in the path which might block the connection?

My guess would be #2.

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

we pinged and it is communication

could this be a signal that firewall is not blocking already?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@HeatherNewton wrote:

we pinged and it is communication

could this be a signal that firewall is not blocking already?

ping uses a basic communication protocol (ICMP) which is (almost) never blocked by firewalls, as it poses no risk of malware transport. The fact that ping works does not mean that firewalls don't block TCP/IP communication.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation