BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

I've repeatedly had problems with SAS Enterprise Guide "Freezing" (i.e. you can't do anything inside the E.G. windows) when I submit a program to run or when I try to use the Log Summary.  This can go on for 10 or more minutes.  Sometimes it will eventually come back and everything will be fine, but other times I have to kill E.G. via the Windows Task Manager. I notice that E.G. is pegged at about 25% CPU utilization when this happens (see screen shot, below), so E.G. is obviously doing something under the covers.  It seems to happen most frequently with larger programs that have a lot of %INCLUDE's in them.

I can still submit via the UNIX command line, but it's kind of a hassle.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any work-arounds or solutions?

Jim

Enterprise_Guide_Freeze.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Glad you have a resolution, but the "something happened" shouldn't be so mysterious, right? Maybe the collection of logs gets too large, or ODS output accumulates too much gunk in the project archive.  Spitballing here -- if you're still working with Tech Support, maybe developers can track it down.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @jimbarbour -- this shouldn't happen, of course.  I suggest that you take it up with SAS Tech Support.  They will probably ask you to turn on application logging in the EG options -- that log contains information that EG developers might be able to use to see where things are hung up.

Also share information about your specific EG version, and network topology.  Is this EG on your local desktop connecting to a remote SAS...located where?  

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi, @ChrisHemedinger,  

Thanks.  I'll contact tech support.

I'm running Enterprise Guide 7.15 HF3 installed on a laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise (Build 7601, sp1), 64 bit with 8 Gb RAM and 2.7 GHz clock speed.

On the back end, I'm connecting over a VPN to an 80 lcpu AIX server with 259 Gb RAM with oslevel 7100-03-03-1415 running SAS 9.4 M4 (no, not Viya and not even M5, darn it.)  🙂

Jim

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I would not be surprised if the VPN turns out to be the culprit. EG really does not like the latencies caused by the many intermediaries and the geographic distance probably involved.

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@Kurt_Bremser,

I too suspected that it might be the VPN, particularly since I was dealing with a fairly lengthy program and even lengthier output, but that turned out not to be the case.  Enterprise Guide continued to "freeze" for lengthy periods of time even when connected the following day to the high speed network in my office at work.

As it turns out, something (unknown) happened to the .egp project file.  The fast solution is to delete the project file, create a new project, and add the programs back in.  Painful on large projects, but it works extremely well.

Jim

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Glad you have a resolution, but the "something happened" shouldn't be so mysterious, right? Maybe the collection of logs gets too large, or ODS output accumulates too much gunk in the project archive.  Spitballing here -- if you're still working with Tech Support, maybe developers can track it down.

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Hmm.  I do have logging turned on (the Enterprise Guide logging via log4net).  Perhaps that's getting so large as to be unwieldy?  I probably should turn that off anyway.  It's not needed for every day normal operations.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to replicate the problem.  This isn't the first time it has occurred, so I'll keep an eye out for a recurrence.

Jim

suchismita
Quartz | Level 8

Hello @jimbarbour ,

I too having similar issue. I ran 3 codes in sequence and they ran successfully .  After that when I tried close to  the code , it asked me saving options yes , no or cancel. Meanwhile  I did a alt+tab to another application, when came back to EG the screen frozen and I could not see that prompt (yes/no/cancel). I tried deleting the project from project recovery location that also did not help. Finally I end up closing EG from task manager.

Anyone have this kind of issue?

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14
Oops. I just marked your question as the solution. Sigh. Fat fingers on my iPhone.

I suspect that the pop up asking if you want to save is still there somewhere and that is why EG appears to be frozen.

My advice would be to not Alt tab away from the pop up. Either save or don't and then Alt tab to another window.

Jim

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation