BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

Agree with Tom's summary.  I'm actually working on a "EG for programmers" blog post.   I have been programming in SAS for many years, and have been using EG a bit the past year (prompted by starting to learn BI / stored processes, which I'm sure feels like a nicer reason to start learning EG than if someone had ripped DM SAS out of my hands).

One benefit for experienced SAS programmers I would add is the ability to use  EG as an editor for code that is sitting on our linux server.  I know lots of folks love their *nix editors, but I never really learned one.  So in the past when I wanted to edit a .sas file sitting on linux server, I would often end up either FTPing the file or (if we had Samba set up), opening it in PC SAS to develop, then log in to the server to batch submit the finished code.

With EG, I can directly edit and submit my .sas files that are on the server, which feels like a big help.  For some projects I end up with an EG project file with links pointing to .sas files on the server, .html files on the server, etc etc.

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ballardw
Super User

I found Tom's outline useful even though I don't use EG. I had seen several "how to do xx" posts on the forum that didn't explicitly mention using an EG environment until several posts into the discussion and wondered why the original poster hadn't found the, sometimes extremely simple, solutions. So I opened an EG session (installed just seldom used) and found that the content of the online help was often less than half that of the Base SAS help. That did not increase my desire to deal with EG.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you're referring to the syntax help for the SAS language, you can always have local access to that if you install the SAS OnlineDoc for Windows, which should be part of your SAS installation package.  EG doesn't bundle it in the client install because it is quite large, and it would duplicate what many people already have installed and available in the SAS OnlineDoc.  But you can install it separately.

In EG 5.1, there is easy access to reference help right from the program editor.  For example, when I have the cursor over the ORDER option in PROC FREQ, I see this:

syntaxhelp.png

If I need more details, the blue underlined text pieces are links to the SAS OnlineDoc on support.sas.com.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 like
  • 10 in conversation