BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

I have a flow and I have a transpose transformation. In options I have for Source columns:

Name --> Fuente
Label -->Label

If i work with EG in English, the result of this transformation show the column name: Label, and If i work with EG in Spanish, show: Etiqueta.

After this result I have a query builder and the field called "label" has logic in the editor referenced to this field. If the EG is in Spanish I get an error because in the formula editor I have the field with the name "Label" and in the source column i have Etiqueta because was translated.

How Can i solve this problem?

Thx.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I am able to reproduce the problem.  This does appear to be a bug in the Transpose task.  Unlike the Name and Column Prefix fields, the Label field is not serializing the value if you don't change it (leave as the default value).  Therefore, if you then run the project in EG using  a different language, the default value in the Label field will be translated in the new current language, resulting in a different named column in the output data set, which can throw-off downstream processing.  I'll enter it into our tracking system.

To workaround, the user can specify a value for the Label field that is not the default.  It will then be serialized and re-used in EG regardless of the language EG is running in.

UPDATE: A fix for this issue has been pushed and will be available in the first EG 7.15 update (HF1) next month.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Nice question @JuanDaniel,

I personally think this problem has no solution, except everyone working on same version of EG (I always recommend English, if possible).

However, you can wait for other knowledgeable peers to answer, and you can drop the question at SAS Technical Support, since the solution may come from the substitution of a couple of dll libraries/files (if available).

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

Thx @JuanS_OCS

I'm surprised of that. The users with EG execute against the SAS Server, Can I do anything to force in the Server that always use the same language?

The local configuration of EG affects the execution in the server if the users dont have the same local configuration?

If i have developers in USA with its EG in English, and developers in France with EG in french, and developers in Spain with EG in Spanish, can i have problems with this?

If Spanish developer open a project that have was developed by a french developer and execute the project, do EG translate some words?

Is there any way to solve this problem or translate the code automatically?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @JuanDaniel,

please let me address your question below. For further questions or to complete some gaps on my answers, I would recommend you to wait for other peers to answer or just share the question with your SAS Technical Support team.

Can I do anything to force in the Server that always use the same language?

Not on the server, sorry. But you could force the EG settings to use the nls/language as used in your server 

Tools--> Options --> General --> Server session locale = change "Use the Guide display language"  to "Use the locale of the server"

The local configuration of EG affects the execution in the server if the users dont have the same local configuration?

Yes, it does. By default, servers will always execute in the language as set up on your client (SAS EG in this case)

If i have developers in USA with its EG in English, and developers in France with EG in french, and developers in Spain with EG in Spanish, can i have problems with this?

Yes

If Spanish developer open a project that have was developed by a french developer and execute the project, do EG translate some words?

Not alwaysI think, but in some cases, yes. Anyway, better to prevent this.

For SAS code, yes, and remote executions on the server. For what variable the Query Builder will take... I cannot help you here, sorry.

I recommend the reading of:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings10/336-2010.pdf

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/Multilingual_Computing_with_SAS_94.pdf

Not related directly to this post, but it might help you: All of this makes me think that perhaps, probably, it is a good idea to think about the languages, formats and how you store the data. I mean, you can do nothing with the fact that each local department will use their own formats and languages, but regarding the storage of the data within SAS, UTF-8/UNICODE might be a good idea.

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

@JuanS_OCS Thx for your time and response 🙂

For SAS code, yes, and remote executions on the server. For what variable the Query Builder will take... I cannot help you here, sorry.

Can i translate SAS Code?

Kind Regards

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I am able to reproduce the problem.  This does appear to be a bug in the Transpose task.  Unlike the Name and Column Prefix fields, the Label field is not serializing the value if you don't change it (leave as the default value).  Therefore, if you then run the project in EG using  a different language, the default value in the Label field will be translated in the new current language, resulting in a different named column in the output data set, which can throw-off downstream processing.  I'll enter it into our tracking system.

To workaround, the user can specify a value for the Label field that is not the default.  It will then be serialized and re-used in EG regardless of the language EG is running in.

UPDATE: A fix for this issue has been pushed and will be available in the first EG 7.15 update (HF1) next month.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Wow @CaseySmith, very nice insight. I am glad you chimed in, I am sure this will help many colleagues around.

That's the super-great support in this Community 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation