BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello...

I am 110% stumped. I am using EG 4.1 on my Windows XP machine. I have a number of existing SAS data sets from which I have built EG projects in the past. I can also open them in "regular" SAS without difficulty (e.g., from SAS 9.1 for Windows XP, I can assign a libname and then work with the data sets in procedure or data steps).

But, as of tonight, for some reason, I am getting a "Enterprise Guide Cannot Open the Data File" message for EVERY data set I try to open. This does not make sense.

If anyone knows how I can fix this problem I'd appreciate your help ASAP. You are welcome to email me directly at sierrainfo@aol.com if you want. Otherwise, thanks in advance for posting your reply to this forum!

Andrew
7 REPLIES 7
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, Andrew:
You've probably checked these,
http://support.sas.com/kb/17/589.html
http://support.sas.com/kb/3/447.html

What did Tech Support suggest?
cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi...thanks for your reply. Since I am using the Learning Edition I am not able to contact Tech Support on this issue. I do not think there are formats on any of the variables in the data set. As I mentioned in my original post I have used these data sets in EG in the past without trouble. I also opened them on another machine without difficulty.

I am also unable to establish a library reference (Libref) to that library using EG at this time. I get the same "Cannot Open" message when I try to do that.

Still stumped here, unfortunately.

Andrew
deleted_user
Not applicable
Further to my previous post, one of the links Cynthia provided suggested there may be formats assocated to some of the variables which EG cannot "find." This is NOT the case with this data set. I cannot open ANY SAS data sets with my version of EG any more, NOR can I use the Assign Libname window to assign a library reference to a library of existing data sets.

Thanks, Andrew
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Andrew,

Has your copy of LE expired? I'm not sure how to check that, but LE has an expiration date that is different from regular SAS.

Under EG 3.x, I've seen students have this problem when XP has marked the directory or file as 'read only' (under properties).

Doc
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Doc...

No, my version of LE has not expired. I just got it, all new and shiny, about six months ago.

Thanks, Andrew
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Andrew,

Some things to check:

- can you connect to SAS from within EG? View->Servers List->Expand your SAS server.

- In EG, check Help->About->System Details. Does the window show that you have SAS installed and registered? There would be an entry for "SAS location" and "SAS command".

If the answer is no to these questions, try re-registering SAS. Navigate a command prompt to where your SAS.exe resides and run:

sas.exe /regserver

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
monei011monei01
Calcite | Level 5

I have hit this error when I manually renamed a dataset in a data library and gave the dataset a name that contained uppercase characters. It took a while to track this down, but changing name to lowercase fixed the issue. It seems that the internal workings of SAS EG are case sensitive

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation