BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
scott_apl
Calcite | Level 5
After SGF I realized that I should possibly recommend to users that they shift to EG as the primary SAS interface versus DMS. With the code completion and embedded help coming in version 4.3, it makes DMS really show its age.

At the same time the SAS/Graph developers are really improving SAS Graphics with SG Procedures and GTL. The ODS Graphics Designer provides some good capabilities, but %sgdesign does not run under EG 4.2.

I saw Chris's list in another thread ... http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/sastasksandprocs.htm ...
and it appears the SG graphics are barely used in EG.

Something I didn't ask at the conference, when will SG Graphics be integrated with EG? Are the EG developers waiting for more SG Procedure capability (pie charts, maps, area plots in 9.3?)?

And, will the designer be usable with EG 4.3, as I currently get the following error ...
15 %sgdesign;
NOTE: This is a preproduction version of SAS/GRAPH: ODS Graphics Designer.
ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access SYSTASK COMMAND.
ERROR: Java class generated an exception.
7 REPLIES 7
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
SYSTASK is disabled by default in EGuide. See

http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=28512潠

for information about changing the default.
scott_apl
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Doc, Got a little further, but now I'm still getting the Java execption ...

15 %sgdesign
17 GOPTIONS NOACCESSIBLE;
NOTE: This is a preproduction version of SAS/GRAPH: ODS Graphics Designer.
ERROR: Java class generated an exception.

Has anyone run ODS Graphics Designer under EG?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You might actually want to post this question in the ODS GRAPHICS forum, because that's the forum that the ODS GRAPHICS developers monitor.

cynthia
scott_apl
Calcite | Level 5
Cynthia -thanks

I could have filled the execution error of SGDESIGN as a bug. But my real question is: "Why does it not appear the the EG development is not implementing the new ODS graphics?" Don't know if this is politically sensitive, but now that I think about it, I don't remember any ODS Graphics demos at SGF under EG.

The last couple of times that I returned from SGF/SUGI I've given EG a try, as it appears to be a more "modern" interface than DMS. But, I've always come to the conclusion that it's just not ready to replace DMS (which I've been using seemingly forever). My thought is to demo EG to our engineers and statisticans, many of which have moved to MATLAB in the past 8-10 years because of graphics. ODS Graphics are bringing SAS back! But, I don't want to push EG here before it's really a better SAS interface for us.
prholland
Fluorite | Level 6
Scott,

%SGDESIGN starts an external Java interactive application that interfaces to interactive SAS, and so is never likely to be available for EG users, as they have no direct interface to the server where SAS is running. On the other hand it would be technically feasible to create an EG Custom Task which has similar functionality to %SGDESIGN using .NET.

Would that work for you?.............Phil
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Let me add a couple of points.

First, if you were at SAS Global Forum and didn't see any SG* procedures working in Enterprise Guide 4.3, then you didn't attend any of my demos! I love SGPLOT and SGSCATTER and I show them off every chance that I get...within EG.

In EG 4.2, you can find ODS statistical graphics baked into many of the analytical tasks. See this blog post:

http://blogs.sas.com/sasdummy/index.php?/archives/133-Where-to-find-ODS-Statistical-Graphics-in-SAS-...

In our 4.3 release, we add a task for a Scatter Plot Matrix using SGSCATTER.

And finally, we are working on a task that allows you to launch the ODS Graphics Designer (requires that you have SAS installed on your local Windows box) and also "replay" graphs that you designed using the SGDESIGN procedure (would run with EG using any SAS server). That task won't be in 4.3 initially, but we hope to make it available soon after.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
scott_apl
Calcite | Level 5
Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I only got close on your demos once ... they were always packed when I was around. At the opening tech session seeing our statisticians light-up at the "intelliSense" in EG, I realized that EG is the strategic way to go with many of our SAS users.

Usually I get all my questions answered at the conference. When I got back and was combining the wow in EG with the wow in ODS Graphics for my trip report, I was not seeing ODS Graphics in EG that I expected. Then when the ODS Designer didn't work, which I've seen in development for years, I figured I needed to inquire.

Great to hear that you are going in that direction.

Scott

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation