BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASDump
Calcite | Level 5
Enterprise Guide 4.1 Version:
I have set the email setting in tools\options\administration\emailing settings\..

however, i got an error with "Error:
No server was defined."

I wonder is it refer to a blocked port?
i have checked with proc options group = email with the following result:
EMAILAUTHPROTOCOL=NONE
Identifies the SMTP e-mail authentication protocol
EMAILHOST=LOCALHOST
SMTP server host for email access method
EMAILID= From E-mail address, log in id, or profile for use with underlying e-mail system
EMAILPORT=25 Port number for SMTP server for email access method
EMAILPW= Used by the E-mail Access Method and Send menu item to set the email session login password for the underlying e-mail system
EMAILDLG=NATIVE Used by Send menu item to set the email dialog interface.
EMAILSYS=MAPI Used by E-mail Access Method and Send menu item to set the interface type with underlying e-mail system.

I know that the emailsys now pointing to MAPI, but i guess EG will probably direct the mail to SMTP if i enter some smtp setting in the option.

Please shed me some light for the actual set up required. Thanks in advance... Message was edited by: SASDump
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I suggest that you read more carefully about sending e-mail in

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/63285/HTML/default/viewer.htm#sassession.htm#usi...

If you are using MAPI, then your windows path needs some pointers and you need to be using something like Microsoft Outlook.

Usually for processing in a step, I use SMTP so everything can happen in the background. The emailhost name comes from your network support folk. There are some settings that you need to make in EGuide's Tools --> options windows.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
deleted_user
Not applicable
You can also check the Microsoft exchange server name in
Microsoft outlook tools-> emailAccount-> view or change existing email account->Change->Microsoft Exchange server

And set the server name in
Tool->Options->Administration->Outgoing Email server amd port

Hope this helps.
SASDump
Calcite | Level 5
May someone can do some clarification on these?

Can I summary with the approach in EG 4.1 with remote 9.1 server for sending email as follow?

1. File->Send to..->Email Recipient, use default outlook/outlook express with (MAPI SAS default)
2. Send email as a step in project - use SMTP, port 25(cannot be changed), without SSL, user/pw and host defined in Tools->Option->e-mail setting ignore the setting in sasv9.cfg
3. by program (FILENAME xxx EMAIL), EMAILSYS can be VIM, MAPI, SMTP, depends on sasv9.cfg configuration.
4. some other program (FILENAME xxx socket) ??

If i use lotus notes, can i trigger the approach in 1 with lotus notes instead of outlook? how to change this ? through win.ini? I have tried to add:
[Mail]
SMI=1
[LotusMail]
Application=Notes
Program=e:\notes\Notes.exe NoDialogs
but still cannot use lotus notes in approach 1.

Besides, can i say that approach 1 and 2 is done by EG, not by the remote server??
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
You got it just about right, I think.

But Lotus Notes is troublesome, because the MAPI layer that it implements isn't quite like that provided by Microsoft (Outlook or Outlook Express), so you might not have success sending e-mail interactively from within EG this way.

E-mail As a Step (using SMTP) should work much more reliably, after setting the options in Tools->Options->Administration.

Here's a blog post, but it pertains to 4.2 and later:
http://blogs.sas.com/sasdummy/index.php?/archives/187-Using-Gmail-to-send-a-message-via-SAS-Enterpri...

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation