BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jakub_deka
Calcite | Level 5

When writing SAS code in EG there is a noticible latency between each keystroke. It takes up to 0.5s for the key press to register and appear on the screen. Any ideas how this could be solved? No other application suffers from the same problems (including SAS enchanced editor).

I am currenlty using SAS EG 7.13 running on a remote server within my local company network (it is more powerful than my computer) running windows 7 Pro to which I connect using Remote Desktop. I have switched off code auto completion and collapsable code sections.

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As you are connecting to a remote session (using Citrix or Terminal Server), you might need to adjust the settings of the connection (tweaking how the graphics rendering is done).  Some of this is controllable from your end, adjusting the properties of the connection.  Some might need to be adjusted by an admin (Citrix).  EG and some other Windows apps use WPF for some of the user interface (this includes the editor).

You can try the steps in this paper -- a bit old, but might still be relevant.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jakub_deka
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your reply. I have tried steps described in the paper and they did not make a difference. I will look deeper into settings on the server side. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

I have tried many cobinations of settings on the client and the only thing that seems to make a difference is font smoothing (decreases the latency slightly but still not as quick as other applications).

Edik
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jakub,

Serveral team members are having the slow keystroke issue in my team and we use SAS EG 6.1 for SAS 9.4A and I was wondering if you were able to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Edik

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The EG editor's syntax suggestion/autocompletion feature could be the cause of this slowdown -- especially in older EG releases and with larger programs.  You could try turning it off (uncheck Enable Autocomplete in Program menu->Editor Options->Autocomplete tab).  If that is the cause, you should see a marked improvement.  (This particular issue has been largely addressed in newer EG releases.)

(Though I just noticed @jakub_deka had already tried disabling Autocompletion.  It is still the first thing I would try for slow keystrokes, since it has been the culprit for at least a couple cases.)

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

jakub_deka
Calcite | Level 5

Sadly I have been unable to resolve this issue. As mentioned before I have tried disabling code completion (which does increase latency for large SAS files), changing connection settings to the remote server and disabling/enabling hardware acceleration.

This has not resolved the issue completely, however with code completion disabled EG is usable. Just nowehere near as responsive as any other application.

If the delay gets longer as your SAS program, gets longer, then disabling Autocomplete will fix it.

Edik
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you Casey and Jakub for your responses! Will give Autocomplete a try and let you guys know how it goes!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation