BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rmcmillan
Calcite | Level 5

On running %put &syserrortext; from a SAS EG 7.1 program window + connecting to a SAS 9.2 server (Windows OS) the result is:

13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, TIMEZONE.

Is there a way to prevent this ERROR from populating the syserrortext macro variable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I noticed that second error in the initialization log (for 9.2 servers) as well.  It is also a result of setting an option (VALIDMEMNAME) that did not exist in 9.2.  (VALIDMEMNAME was added in SAS 9.3.)  Yes, you can prevent EG (6.1M1 or later) from setting the VALIDMEMNAME system option by setting the Tools->Options->Data->Data General->Naming Options->Valid member names option to Use setting from server.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

The SYSERRORTEXT will always contain the last error message written to log. Do not look at this variable alone, but also consider checking SYSERR o others.

There is a way to set a custom text, see example below

proc print data=sashelp.sugus2;
run;

%put NOTE: &=syserrortext;

%put ERROR: _NOTSET_;

%put NOTE: *&syserrortext*;

But I guess it is better to check the root cause of your error.

Bruno

rmcmillan
Calcite | Level 5

In an EG session I have tried:

%put ERROR: . ;

and this sets the value of syserrortext to blank. However it creates an error condition in the project window.

I have further discovered that if I create an enterpriseguide.sas file containing the enterpriseguide macro this can be modified to include:

%if "&sysver" = "9.2" %then %do ;
  %put ERROR: . ;
%end ;

This works + does not create an error in the EG project window.

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

In the code that is submitted when EG connects to a SAS Server the following code is run, see below, to set the timezone of the SAS Server to the timezone of the EG. Since this is not supported for SAS9.2, you will get the error.

/* ---------------------------------- */
/* OPTION: TIMEZONE                   */
/* PURPOSE: set the server to use     */
/*   the same time zone as the client */
/* ---------------------------------- */
OPTIONS TIMEZONE="GMT+02:00";

Bruno

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The error you are seeing is most likely due to a change made in EG 7.11 in the initialization code that EG submits when connecting to a workspace server.  EG now sets the TIMEZONE system option as part of its server initialization code, so that the server and client timezone's are synced.  However, the TIMEZONE option did not exist in 9.2, so you'll likely see this error in your server initialization log:

82 /* ---------------------------------- */

83 /* OPTION: TIMEZONE */

84 /* PURPOSE: set the server to use */

85 /* the same time zone as the client */

86 /* ---------------------------------- */

87 OPTIONS TIMEZONE="GMT-04:00";

________

ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, TIMEZONE.

You can confirm by looking at your server initialization log with these steps:

1. Navigate to EG's Servers view.
  2. Connect to your workspace server (ex. SASApp) if not already connected.
  3. Right-click the workspace server and select the Properties context menu item.
  4. On the Software tab, click View Initialization Log.

Note: There is a config file option called "SuppressTimezone" you can use to prevent EG from setting the TIMEZONE.  For example, put this in your SEGuide.exe.config file in the EG installation directory:

<appSettings>

<add key="SuppressTimezone" value="true" />

</appSettings>

(Make sure to uncomment the appSettings section, as it is commented out initially.)

ps- Just noticed as I was typing this Bruno found the TIMEZONE setting as well.

rmcmillan
Calcite | Level 5

I confirm that the timezone error occurs in the SAS 9.2 workspace server initialization log. However another error is also present relating to:
options validvarname=ANY validmemname=EXTEND;
ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, VALIDMEMNAME.
ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, TIMEZONE.
After adding the SuppressTimezone key to the SEGuide.exe.config file the TIMEZONE error disappears.
However on running the syserrortext code we now get:
ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, VALIDMEMNAME.
Is there a way to suppress the VALIDMEMNAME option as well?

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I noticed that second error in the initialization log (for 9.2 servers) as well.  It is also a result of setting an option (VALIDMEMNAME) that did not exist in 9.2.  (VALIDMEMNAME was added in SAS 9.3.)  Yes, you can prevent EG (6.1M1 or later) from setting the VALIDMEMNAME system option by setting the Tools->Options->Data->Data General->Naming Options->Valid member names option to Use setting from server.

Casey

rmcmillan
Calcite | Level 5

I have tested the combination of turning VALIDMEMNAME off and SuppressTimezone appsettings and this has successfully resulted in syserrortext being blank and no errors in the workspace server initialisation log when using a SAS 9.2 server with EG 7.12. Excellent work! Thank you to all the contributors to this post.

best regards - Rod McMillan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation