BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
megalopsuchos
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone.

I am assisting a user with EG and scheduling Windows Task to run vbs EG project. 

Workspace server is "configured to prompt" for logon credentials, and I've read a few posts about configuring a credentials.xml file ( http://support.sas.com/kb/30/917.html ) ;however, the newest version of EG in the KB is 5.1 and we are on 7.1. 

Can anyone tell me if it will work fine on EG 7.1 before I contact the user?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Should work, yes.  Adjust the version-specific folders accordingly (5.1->7.1).

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Should work, yes.  Adjust the version-specific folders accordingly (5.1->7.1).

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
megalopsuchos
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! emailing instructions now, will report back with results.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I just now confirmed that it still works in EG 7.15.  I used the following steps:

-Created an EG project with a single program with the code "proc print; data=sashelp.class; run;", saved it, and then scheduled it (File->Schedule Project), so an EGScript1.vbs file would get created.

-Closed EG.

-Ran the VBScript file with the following command (since I'm using 32-bit EG):

c:\Users\cassmi\OneDrive - SAS\Desktop>c:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe EGScript1.vbs

-Confirmed that it runs properly (by re-opening the EG project and confirming that ODS results were created).  (Note: This was with workspace server credentials stored in metadata, so not prompted.)

-In Server Manager plug-in in SAS Management Console, changed SASApp->SASApp - Logical Workspace Server, Properties, Options tab, Authentication service setting from "Host" to "Prompt".

-Manually connected to the SASApp server in EG, confirming that I am now prompted for credentials each time.

-Closed EG and then re-ran the VBScript file with the same command above.

-Confirmed that it no longer automatically runs successfully.  Instead, now the credentials prompt is displayed.  If you enter valid credentials it will then run successfully.  If you do not enter valid credentials, it won't be able to connect to the workspace server, thus won't run.  (You could make an argument that the credentials prompt shouldn't even appear (rather, just fail), since scripting/scheduling is intended to be non-interactive.)

-Created a credentials.xml file with the following contents and saved it to %appdata%\SAS\SharedSettings\7.1\credentials.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xml FileVersion="7.1">
  <credentials>
    <server name="SASApp" userid="cassmi" password="yourPassword"/>
  </credentials>
</xml>

-Closed EG and then re-ran the VBScript file with the same command above.

-Confirmed that it runs successfully again (without prompting for credentials, since they are now being picked up from the credentials.xml file).

I also confirmed that if I provide incorrect credentials in the credentials.xml file, then EG still writes out a credentials.failed.xml file in the same location.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I confirmed it still works the same in EG 8.1 as well.  I'll enter a request for the SAS Note to be updated with the later version numbers.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

megalopsuchos
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Casey.  I would also like to mention, I opened an incident with SAS support as well and here something the technician added about the EG:Tools:Connections:Modify Profile:Authentication Domain field:

The 'Authentication domain:' field should not contain your active directory domain, this field is used to specify the SAS authentication domain that should be used to start the workspace server. Remove the entry and you should no longer see the prompt for the workspace server.

Also, the shared settings path for me is here:  AppData\Roaming\SAS\SharedSettings\7.1

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation