BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

Our company has recently removed the ability to run SAS EG on our local server (on the PC). Everything must now be run on the SAS server.  Since migrating all of my EG projects over, the time it takes for each process flow to run is much longer.  I am noticing that each task in the process flow has to connect to the server before it runs.  This seems to be a major time killer.  Is there a way allow this process flow to run without each task having to connect?  I am connected to the server via the EG profile so I am not sure why these tasks have to connect on their own.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

There should be just one connection made to a Workspace initially, when the first task runs.  (If different connections/workspaces were used, you would not be able to rely on WORK tables and macro variables that are assigned in early tasks.)

Make sure that your project is not set up for parallel execution, as that will spawn off additional connections and probably won't save you time.

If you are using SAS Grid Computing, there might be some additional work going on to connect to various grid nodes along the way.  We would need to know more about your setup to say for sure.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

@ChrisHemedingerthank you for the reply.

I have verified that parallel processing is not turned on in my project.  I am not sure exactly how our environment is set up on the server side, I would have to get with our server team to find out. 

I will clarify what I am seeing. If I run the process flow, each task acts as if it is connecting to the workspace server.  You are right, I don't think it literally disconnects because there don't seem to be any issues with using the work library or the process flow dropping my variables I have set in the first task.  It is very strange but this is definitely slowing down the execution.   I attached a screenshot.

2017-12-12_8-50-47.jpg

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You may need to turn on Application Logging (Tools->Options) and supply those diagnostics to SAS Technical Support.  They may be able to chase down where the latency is occurring.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

I was afraid of that.  Unfortunately for me, I have to send this up the chain in my company.  More than likely, they won't know either and they will have to contact SAS.  I may be way down on the priority list for that.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation