BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Edie
Calcite | Level 5

I am a SAS administrator and have a user recently updated to EG 5.1 64-bit. Since the update to 64-bit, he has experienced problems with SAS freezing when he tries to use the filter feature in the Query Builder. I have been unable to locate any notes relating to this type of issue. Any awareness of this from the community and if so what are my options to resolve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

To get to an "off screen" window that might be blocking the app, use this keyboard sequence:

- Alt+SPACE , then press M (for move), then use arrow keys to move window into view.

If you use those keys, you should see the window outline snap right into your current display.  Practice the key sequence on a window that you can see; that helps you to use it when stuck on a window that's out of bounds.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
cau83
Pyrite | Level 9

This may sound like an irrelevant question, but, it's been a problem with my personal experience:

What is their monitor setup? Specifically, have they had an extended desktop/dual monitors?

And/or:

What exactly do you mean by SAS freezing?

Edie
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris,

This user has a docking station for the network for the laptop which is not opened. He has only one monitor attached to the docking station. By freezing, I mean that EG locks up and the only way to exit it is thru the Task Manager.

cau83
Pyrite | Level 9

Does EG "look frozen" (says Not Responding or turns white or something like that)?

Or it's just not responsive?

If the latter, then have them open the laptop screen and extend the desktop-- see if the filter window is opening on the 2nd screen.

I'm not saying I expect this to be the problem, but it's something I've been dealing with (across multiple applications) that is particularly onerous with SAS EG because the app is effectively disabled if I can't get to the pop-up window (and the window is not available by hovering over the task bar).

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

To get to an "off screen" window that might be blocking the app, use this keyboard sequence:

- Alt+SPACE , then press M (for move), then use arrow keys to move window into view.

If you use those keys, you should see the window outline snap right into your current display.  Practice the key sequence on a window that you can see; that helps you to use it when stuck on a window that's out of bounds.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
cau83
Pyrite | Level 9

Chris, you are a windows savant!

Of course, now I am having a crisis of conscience. Should I close the help desk request I've had for a few weeks because I have this workaround? Hmm...

TBarker
Quartz | Level 8

I have encountered this issue many times when I've remoted in from home to work in EG and found that my dialog boxes were opening on my second screen, which I could not see from home. I've gotten into the habit of sliding everything back to the primary screen at the end of the day, just in case I need to remote in later or over the weekend. I don't know why I never thought to determine the keyboard shortcut to move windows, but I'm glad I checked this thread and learned about this. Now I can stop being so compulsive about moving everything to one screen every day. Chris@SAS, you have made my day, and made my life easier, with your simple but brilliant tip!

~Tamara
Edie
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much! I have one very pleased user.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation