BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bnawrocki
Quartz | Level 8

In base PC SAS 9.4, I often open the Explorer window, right-click a SAS dataset, choose Properties to see the number of Rows and Columns in that dataset. But when I do the same thing in SAS EG the pop-up box doesn't show number of Rows and Columns. Why? So, is there another easy way (without running SAS code like PROC CONTENTS) to view the number of Rows and Columns in a SAS dataset in SAS Enterprise Guide?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

If you click on the Columns tab in the Properties pop up that you put a screen print of in your last post, you can see the columns but it won't give you a count.

However, if you open the dataset and click on the "Properties" icon there (1st screen shot, below), you'll see the "Advanced" option that @Kurt_Bremser mentioned (2nd screen shot, below).  If you click on Advanced, the number of rows and columns will be displayed (3rd screen shot, below).

Jim

jimbarbour_0-1627365568503.png

jimbarbour_1-1627365614487.png

jimbarbour_2-1627365668092.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User
  • If it's after you've created the table, the information is in the log.
  • If you have the table open you can see it while you drag the slider to move down the rows (it appears as you drag the slider).
  • In addition to PROC CONTENTS you could also query sashelp.vtable data set. 

@bnawrocki wrote:

In base PC SAS 9.4, I often open the Explorer window, right-click a SAS dataset, choose Properties to see the number of Rows and Columns in that dataset. But when I do the same thing in SAS EG the pop-up box doesn't show number of Rows and Columns. Why? So, is there another easy way (without running SAS code like PROC CONTENTS) to view the number of Rows and Columns in a SAS dataset in SAS Enterprise Guide?

bnawrocki
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for your attempts at answering my question - but neither solution works for me. 

My Properties window doesn't have an "Advanced" option.

And I'm asking about datasets I haven't created - so the LOG won't help. Also, if I open the dataset in table view mode in SAS EG, I don't see the number of rows unless I scroll to the bottom, which is difficult with a large file.

I'm using SAS EG 8.3. As a specific example, I want to know how many records are in SASHELP.CARS. In PC/SAS 9.4, I can right-click SASHELP.CARS, choose Properties and see Number of Rows/Columns. But when I do the same in SAS EG 8.3, I see this, which is pretty useless. SAS_EG_Properties.JPG

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

If you click on the Columns tab in the Properties pop up that you put a screen print of in your last post, you can see the columns but it won't give you a count.

However, if you open the dataset and click on the "Properties" icon there (1st screen shot, below), you'll see the "Advanced" option that @Kurt_Bremser mentioned (2nd screen shot, below).  If you click on Advanced, the number of rows and columns will be displayed (3rd screen shot, below).

Jim

jimbarbour_0-1627365568503.png

jimbarbour_1-1627365614487.png

jimbarbour_2-1627365668092.png

bnawrocki
Quartz | Level 8

Ah, I see. Sorry I was so dense. I would never have guessed the "View and set properties" icon displays the number of rows (nor did I ever notice the icon itself!). It's an extra step or two, since I have to open the dataset first, but at least I can now see number of Rows. Thanks!

Reeza
Super User
Studio/Viya are the newer tools and are getting more user friendly every day 🙂
The standard Properties Pane in Studio is closer to what it was in Base and includes the # of rows/columns at least in SAS On Demand 🙂
NataljaK
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,
In the Properties open the Advanced
[cid:image001.png@01D78850.FD2A2D80]
Kind regards
Natalja

Reeza
Super User
FYI - Screenshots via email are not attached to posts.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation