BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LisD
Calcite | Level 5

I receive an excel file where one of the variables contains multiple coded entries with many different delimiters. Example: cell contains NV1,NV2 NV5 & NV7;NV4.

How can I account for every delimiter and parse that one cell into many?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I can see two options.

1. Inside Enterprise Guide, create a new query based on your data. Assume your concatenated variable is called InVar. Create a new computed column, with an advanced expression, the expression should be

scan(InVar)

Name the result Out1 (Note there are various parms for scan, you can fiddle with them to pick exactly the delimiters you want).

Create new expressions like this up to the maximum number of strings that are contained within your variable. It's cumbersome, but it works.

2. Using SAS code. Assuming you have a key for your data file (I just used the record number, called it SeqNum), the following code should work.

data inter;

length OutWord $32;

set have;

NumWords = countw(InVar);

do i = 1 to NumWords;

OutWord = scan(InVar, i);

output;

end;

run;

proc transpose data=inter out=want prefix=COL;

var OutWord;

by SeqNum;

id i;

run;

Tom

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Reeza
Super User

Use the SCAN function.

However, you'll have to decide on the logic for how you want to deal with AND. My guess is you have survey data and the AND allow for multiple responses, so you need to explicitly decide how to deal with it. 

LisD
Calcite | Level 5

No. I'm just a novice here and I don't see how or where I can do this in enterprise guide.

A previous post suggest the SCAN function but again, not sure how. Could use some examples.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I can see two options.

1. Inside Enterprise Guide, create a new query based on your data. Assume your concatenated variable is called InVar. Create a new computed column, with an advanced expression, the expression should be

scan(InVar)

Name the result Out1 (Note there are various parms for scan, you can fiddle with them to pick exactly the delimiters you want).

Create new expressions like this up to the maximum number of strings that are contained within your variable. It's cumbersome, but it works.

2. Using SAS code. Assuming you have a key for your data file (I just used the record number, called it SeqNum), the following code should work.

data inter;

length OutWord $32;

set have;

NumWords = countw(InVar);

do i = 1 to NumWords;

OutWord = scan(InVar, i);

output;

end;

run;

proc transpose data=inter out=want prefix=COL;

var OutWord;

by SeqNum;

id i;

run;

Tom

LisD
Calcite | Level 5
Will try. Thank you.
LisD
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you.

Used option 2 then just created a summary table.

Many, many, many thanks. 🙂

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Glad it worked.

This is part of the SAS "secret sauce". The non-programmer oriented tools like EG will do most of the work, but when you need "that little bit extra", the SAS programming language is completely oriented to data management and transformation, and in my opinion much easier than the alternatives. It makes for a powerful combination!

Tom

Reeza
Super User
You need to post sample data and expected output to get examples. We don't know what you want.

Refer to the link below on how to ask a good question.

http://stackoverflow.com/help/how-to-ask
LisD
Calcite | Level 5

Attached is a sample.

Column A is what I get. I would like to convert that to Columns B, C, D, E, ...

It's easy to do in excel (Date - Text to columns) so I'm sure I'm just being blind in SAS EG.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

No, you're not being blind. That's simply an operation that they haven't built into the "easy to use" tasks in EG. Easy to do with SAS code.

Reeza
Super User

How are you getting this data? A text file initially?

LisD
Calcite | Level 5

As a spreadsheet.

Is it something I can do on import?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation