BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kacper
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am working on a project in SAS EG (7.1) which involves process dependence and parallel execution, as depicted below:

dsafdas.png

I have the following questions:

1. Is there a way to retrieve or set relations (i.e. process_C --> program_D) between the processes programmatically? The maintenance is becoming problematic with complex projects. Ideally, I would like to be able to re-create the links between processes from external table.
  2. I start the whole process with the option “Run branch from <<begin>>” process. Let’s assume that we have only 2 processors available. Is there a way to set the order of execution between process_A, B, C? The critical path of the whole flow is “begin -> process_C -> process_D -> end” hence we would like it to start with process_C in order to ensure minimum execution time.

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

You could check into Enterprise Guide Automation tools. I don't know off the top of my head if they contain the facilities you need, but they might.

Another option for "sequencing" your programs is to turn them into standalone code files, and inter-relate them using %include and %macro facilities.

When an EG process flow is dispatched for parallel execution, this is done under the covers using SAS code facilities. Whenever I need to do something like this, I set up a general example that doesn't do anything, get the sequence set up the way I want, and then scrape and modify the underlying SAS code as needed.

Hope this helps,

Tom

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

To do this by yourself, check the documentation for MP CONNECT (requires a SAS/CONNECT license). You need to use SIGNON, WAITFOR, SIGNOFF, RSUBMIT statments, and more.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation