BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

I'm on SAS EG 5.1.

One possible way to define variables by cases is, for instance,

Variable=2*(Statement 1)+3*(Neg of Statement 1);

What is this called? I'd like to read about it, but I don't know what words to search for.

Now please consider the following code.

%MACRO CYCLE;
	%DO A=1 %TO 2;
	%PUT &A.;
	%LET B=0.636805089257504*(&A.=1)+0.656423671305948*(&A.=2);
	%PUT &B.;
	%END;
%MEND; %CYCLE;

On the log I find this:

0.636805089257504*(1=1)+0.656423671305948*(1=2)
0.636805089257504*(2=1)+0.656423671305948*(2=2)

I expected it to be

What am I missing?

Finally, for my actual question, regarding the second block of code, I'm trying to sue the variable B within a Data-Step and it's obvious from some simple computations that B isn't getting the value I expected it to get. In fact, it gets a value that doesn't seem at all related with any of the coefficients used above.

I worked around this by defining B withing the Data-Step, but this is seems crass.

Can you explain to me why isn't my macro variable B working properly and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnSAScom
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

If you are attempting to evaluate arithmetic expressions represented by values of macro variables, you need to use the macro function %SYSEVALF (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/61885/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000206831.htm)

Thank you,

John

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
rivieralad
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi
All macro variables are character, there are no numeric variables.
If you want to perform a calculation use the %eval macro function, for example %eval(0.636805089257504*(&A.=1)+0.656423671305948*(&A.=2));
This should give you the expected results
Cheers
Chris
sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8
Apparently I need to use %SYSEVALF. Using %EVAL I get the following error.
ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand is required. The condition was:
0.636805089257504*(1=1)+0.656423671305948*(1=2)
ERROR: The macro CYCLE will stop executing.
Reeza
Super User

1. This is logic, base math, and the fact that true/false are represented as 1/0. I don't know that that's documents anywhere but you could try searching for Boolean operators. 

2. If you want to evaluate an expression while assigning macro variables you need to use %eval and/or %sysevalf. One deals with integer arithmetic and the other with floating point arithmetic.

How is SAS supposed to know if you want that as text or if you want the expression resolved? By default it treats it as text and you can override this by using the macro functions mentioned above. 

sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks.

I asked because I'm pretty sure I've read about it on the help documentation and I'd like to see what's on that article.

To me it's not obvious that a statement and its truth value are one and the same. In fact, being a mathematician, conceptually they are two different things and before you told me this it didn't cross my mind that it would all be the same for SAS.

I didn't know macro variables are text by default, thanks.

ballardw
Super User

Programming unfortunately is not mathematics as we get to deal with the "rules" established by the program designers.

Numeric to true and false work two slightly different ways.

When SAS assigns the value to a comparison it will always use 1 for true and 0 for false.

But if you have a numeric variable you can use it as a boolean. If the value is not missing and not 0 SAS will treat it as true, otherwise false.

Please see the results from this brief program as a demonstration.

data _null_;
   do x= -1 to 3, ., .5;
      if (x) then put x " is true";
      else put x " is false";
   end;
run;

sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

Instructive. Thank you very much.

Reeza
Super User

You should check how SAS treats positive/negative/0 values. 

Which is true/false is good to know. 

sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

I thought I had replied, I just noticed I didn't.

Thank you for this lesson.

JohnSAScom
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

If you are attempting to evaluate arithmetic expressions represented by values of macro variables, you need to use the macro function %SYSEVALF (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/61885/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000206831.htm)

Thank you,

John

Astounding
PROC Star

Even though it's good to understand the processes and how the macro processor works ...

Within a DATA step you are probably getting improper values because of the DATA step's order of operations.  When you substitute the very long version of &B in a DATA step, the order of operations is likely wrong.  A simple way to solve this is to add parentheses.  Instead of:

%let B= ...;

Use:

%let B=(...);

Just include the same logic as you are now but add parentheses.  That will force the DATA step to perform math on the longer expression first, before using it in further calculations.

sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

Will do, thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation