BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
skidooman34
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am needing some help in changing a datetime format back to a date format. For example, I have a value of   28OCT2013:21:26:58.819000

How can I create another variable and keep only the first 9 characters, in this case 28OCT2013 ? Can I do a simple SUBSTR command?

Help would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You could use the DATEPART function.  Or, simply apply a DATE format and leave the original value as is!  See:

Do you mind if we dance with your DATEs (or DATETIMEs)? - The SAS Dummy

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
skidooman34
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried doing the simple date format, I used

28OCT2013:21:26:58.819000 (variable is called ofr_create_dt)  and if I simply put

date(ofr_creat_dt) as date1

I got back a result of 19701?

Any ideas?

AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

you  then can format the date1 variable with date9. format and you get the date in a more readable format.

date(ofr_creat_dt) as date1

format date1 date9.;

Good luck!

Anca.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation