BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
r_behata
Barite | Level 11

Running some memory intensive programs , especially those involve hash lookups have become impossible with the default MEMSIZE option in SAS EG.

I can circumvent this limitation from the command line by passing the -MEMSIZE <n>G as an init parameter from the command line. However, I cannot get my head around for bypassing this limitation in SAS EG.

Our site has a Client Server (SAS GRID ) architecture.

Running the proc options has pointed to a path that I do not have access to :

31         proc options option=config;
32         run;

SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 9.4  TS1M4

CONFIG=( /sso/sfw/sas/940M4/SASFoundation/9.4/sasv9.cfg /sso/sfw/sas/940M4/SASFoundation/9.4/nls/en/sasv9.cfg 
/sso/sfw/sas/940M4/SASFoundation/9.4/sasv9_local.cfg /sso/biconfigm4/940/Lev1/SASApp/sasv9.cfg 
/sso/biconfigm4/940/Lev1/SASApp/sasv9_usermods.cfg /sso/biconfigm4/940/Lev1/SASApp/WorkspaceServer/sasv9.cfg 
/sso/biconfigm4/940/Lev1/SASApp/WorkspaceServer/sasv9_usermods.cfg )

I have searched in the Local Drive under SASHome for .cfg files but could not find any.

Any suggestions on how to set this initialization parameter ?

Thanks,

RB

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

MEMSIZE is set when the server process starts, and EG has no role in that (the Object Spawner does that). You need to change such parameters in the workspace server configuration.

r_behata
Barite | Level 11

@Kurt_Bremser Thanks for the response.

Just wondering if there is a way to bypass changing the Server side Parameters as it might update the MEMSIZE globally which would be applicable to the other instances spawned from the  Same Workspace Server, which the  Administrators might not like.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm not aware of any "bypass". Increasing memsize won't necessarily mean the SAS workspace server starts using a lot more memory. Talk to your SAS administrator regarding an increase. At the end of the day memory is a more limited resource than disk space, so you may have to limit your use of hash with large datasets.

What is your current memsize setting?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you need more memory, but do not want to change your "standard" configuration, you need to add another application server and a workspace server there with the extended memsize. Access to that server context can be limited with metadata permissions.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @r_behata 

Do you have access to console login for compute servers where your code is executing? If yes, then you can navigate to your home directory on the server and create a file "sasv9.cfg" and add a parameter " -MEMSIZE xG " and save.

Launch a new SAS session and it should use the parameter from your home directory instead of the default session parameter. In this way you can use a different session memsize without changing the global parameter. I have tested this via cmd line and it works fine. try it out via EG and let know if works.

Note: If you have multiple compute nodes and home directory is not shared then you will have to set this up for all the compute nodes.

link to understand the order of precedence SAS uses for config files: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hostunx&docsetTarget=p13flc1vsrqwr8n1vutzds8rp3t0.htm&docset...

Thanks!

r_behata
Barite | Level 11

Appreciate all the wonderful Inputs.

I have raised a service ticket with our SAS Admin team and waiting for their response on this. Will update once this Thread once I get a response.

Regards,

RB

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation