A      3

B      1

B      2
B      3
C      1

C      2
C      3

D      1

I have a data in this format where the values of row is not fixed and can take any value but at the end I want them in the order where for each value of column A there is all the possible values that column B can take i.e. 1 2 3 and if a column like that of D doesn't have sufficient values of B then I want to add tow additional values for D.

How to do that..??

Is there a way to apply cross join within a single table and if yes will that help..??

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

You can do this with Proc Freq - it might be more efficient than an explicit Cross Join on a very large table.

data have;
	length letter $1;
	infile datalines;
	input letter $ numb;
	datalines;
A      1
A      2
A      3
B      1
B      2
B      3
C      1
C      2
C      3
D      1
;
run;

proc freq data=have noprint;
tables letter*numb/sparse out=want(drop=count percent);
run;

DipeshGupta
Calcite | Level 5

@ChrisBrooks Is is possible with proc tabulate also. I mean is there any function like sparse available with Proc Tabulate also..??

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Printmiss would be the equivalent in Proc Tabulate

proc tabulate data=have out=want2(keep=letter numb);
class letter numb;
tables letter*numb / printmiss;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation