BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Brian
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all

I'm interested in copying and pasting a program (w/ Prompts defined and attached) from one SAS EG project into a new SAS EG project (w/ No Prompts Defined). While I'm able to copy and paste over the program, the attached prompts do not carry over despite a prompt icon showing for the program in the Project Tree.

I'd like to avoid using the GUI to redefine reusable prompts with each new SAS EG project. I understand there is no way to "pop" any kind of interactive window in SAS EG. (i.e. %window, %display)

https://communities.sas.com/message/27045

It would be nice if a future enhancement would allow SAS EG to dynamically define and call prompts (especially from an external SAS program).

I understand SAS EG automation model can supply values for project prompts. Anyone know if SAS EG automation can dynamically create project prompts?

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/298-2012.pdf

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Brian,

For automation-enabled prompts, you could use this task:

Process Interruptus: a custom task to pause your process flow - The SAS Dummy

These are outside of the built-in prompts that EG supports in the project.

EG does not support creating new prompts within automation, but you could have your automation script display a prompt (in VBS or PowerShell or whatever you're using) and then create/run a program in the CodeCollection object.

And copy/paste of items that carry the prompts with them -- that's on the list for the next version of EG (not 7.1, which is out now, but the one after that).

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

aside defining prompts within each EG project you could define the prompts within the SAS metadatabase.

Organizing prompts at that area is having those able to be shared. What is the issue with that one?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Brian,

For automation-enabled prompts, you could use this task:

Process Interruptus: a custom task to pause your process flow - The SAS Dummy

These are outside of the built-in prompts that EG supports in the project.

EG does not support creating new prompts within automation, but you could have your automation script display a prompt (in VBS or PowerShell or whatever you're using) and then create/run a program in the CodeCollection object.

And copy/paste of items that carry the prompts with them -- that's on the list for the next version of EG (not 7.1, which is out now, but the one after that).

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Brian
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Chris for your help. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the next EG update.

In the interim, I'll review the feasibility re: the two options you've shared. I appreciate your work on developing these custom tasks. Any opportunity to integrate this add-in functionality back into a future SAS EG version would help improve implementation/adoption.

Brian

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Still the question what is not there with the metadata approach. This is the central point and strategic way sas institute is moving.

If you may believe all their work and presentations on their solutions strategy.   

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Jaap,

Shared prompts can work only with SAS stored processes, not just any arbitrary SAS programs.  And not every installation is using metadata to its fullest; there is a wide spectrum of how different sites leverage metadata (or elect not to...).

Chris

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@Chris technically you are correct. The difference is hearing and understanding more in questions. When there is something become aware trying to ask for that.

As soon as somebody is asking for reusability of parts of coding you are going to touch version management and release management.  The next one will be how can find which version is used where and .... 

That are part of common practice IT governance as also coming in by regulations. I know that is a difficult area for sales and people occupied and locked in with a very technical area.             

It is some kind of humor of ignoring those things. I am associating that with mr Bean.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation