BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I need to have a connection with a local server and a remote server in my SAS Enterprise Guide project.

How Can I launch both connections in the same time? For the moment, if I connect to the remote server, I lost the connection to the local server.

Thanks for your answers!

Arnaud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I found a solution to my problem here:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/300-2012.pdf

Thanks to everyone for its help. At the beginning, It's was not very clear for me what the problem was but with your advices, I really understand deeper the problem source and search on the web to find an appropriate solution to my problem.

I have another problem now (it's linked with this thread so I invite you to help me again ;-), I will open a new thread!

Thanks again,

Arnaud

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I don't think that you can't, not in the way I suspect that you want anyway.

If you have SAS/CONNECT licensed, you could reach both local and remote data within the same project.

Can you describe the reason for this requirement so that we could come up with (better) alternative solutions.

Data never sleeps
arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your fast answer LinusH 🙂

I wrote a SAS Enterprise Guide project in local on my own computer (with SAS installed in local on this computer). No access to remote server was needed for me.

After that, I give that project to another person (with another computer) who has some SAS toolboxes on a remote server. And so, my project (wrote in local) doesn't work anymore because it uses procedures of that toolbox...

We try to access local and remote server together but it failed: if I'm connected to the local server and try to connect to the remote server, the connection with the local server is lost and I'm then connected with the remote server...

However, we can make a connection with them separately without problem.

Thanks for your help!

Arnaud

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I don't understand what you mean by SAS toolbox. But it sounds like that your local environment differs from your colleague remote environment. So you need to make those environments to compatible. How is depending on the meaning of "toolbox".

Why don't you both work with remote servers as default?

Data never sleeps
arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

I arrived at the conclusion that's a problem of toolboxes because I use a particular proc (proc GAM of the SAS/STAT toolbox) in my SAS enterprise Guide project, and it produces an error: "proc GAM not found"  during execution.

BUT we try the same code in a classical SAS 9.3 environment and the proc GAM works correctly.

The thing is that other proc worked well in SAS enteprise Guide (such as proc tabulate). The data step works also very well in my project. But it doesn't work with proc GAM and proc Export (I don't know why for proc Export).

I insist that the code is running very well in classical SAS 9.3 code. But the same code in Enterprise Guide failed because of particular procedures (not every procedure, I don't know why) ...

arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the help of everyone 🙂 I'm not very familiar with server connection problems with SAS enterprise Guide. That's the first time actually...

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Sounds like that SAS/STAT is not licensed (or installed) on the server(s) that the project is executed on.

Try execute

PROC SETINIT;

RUN;

and see in the log which SAS modules are licensed.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

With EGuide you can  connect to a lot of app-servers those app-servers are remote.

The only exception is local that is in fact SAS-pc.

When you need also the local  you have to set that by the servers tab (tools administration) of the remote one.

Yes ....  confusing ...

When you are running SAS 9.3 or up (EGuide 5.1) You will find the session to local is persistent.

You can do libnames in code an use the autoexec flow to start things.

When you are using the remote server you will experience those features do not work. Attention:

What is happening is that every piece  of sas-code is running in a decicated new session.  Some exceptions are eg the upload/download tasks and te manual copy/paste actions.

If you would like to use SAS/connect wit Eguide started by your own.   Every piece of source should do the start/connect before using data  

yes ... even more confusing....

---->-- ja karman --<-----
arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

Can you explain me a little bit more this sentence:

"When you need also the local  you have to set that by the servers tab (tools administration) of the remote one."

How can I say to my remote server to use also the local one?

Thanks for your help!

Arnaud

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you have a connection to a remote SAS environment, and you have SAS installed on your local PC, you can tell EG to show your Local server as well as your remote server (ex: "SASApp") in your servers list.

Double-click on the connection profile name (lower right corner of your EG window) to open the Connections window.  Select the Servers tab, then check the "Automatically add Local..." option on the tab:

connections.png

When you click OK, you should see Local added to your list of available servers:

connections_with_local.png

Note: if your Local SAS installation has different SAS products/modules than the remote SAS, you won't necessarily be able to run your SAS programs on both servers.  This could be a bit tricky to keep track of within your projects.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Arnaudd you have got some attention and see even Chris replied with screen-shots.

The "Proc gam" issue should be tackled with setinit information.  

The "proc export" issue could be also have some setinit limitations, for instance if it is Excel spreadsheet you want to convert to.

In that case there are a lot of better options to implement that. There is blog of Chris "let me count the ways".

When you are coding physical names (Windows C:\ ...) and running Linux (Unix type server) there is a need for changing those names.

My advice:

never have hard coded physical names in your code.

Isolate that as some setting out of your code and using macro-vars in that places (& sas-defined  or ! OS-system defined).

Withe filenames being defined (to a map) you can also use the member-naming approach.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I found a solution to my problem here:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/300-2012.pdf

Thanks to everyone for its help. At the beginning, It's was not very clear for me what the problem was but with your advices, I really understand deeper the problem source and search on the web to find an appropriate solution to my problem.

I have another problem now (it's linked with this thread so I invite you to help me again ;-), I will open a new thread!

Thanks again,

Arnaud

arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to award everyone with a helpful answer but It's seems there's a limit in the "helpful answer" that I can give 😞

arnaudd
Calcite | Level 5

The new thread is over here:

Thanks everyone!

Arnaud

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation