BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
edmb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to my SAS server outside the virtual environment, hosted by our Citrix Server, by using a standalone version of Enterprise Guide (7.1). However, when I connect to the SAS metadata server in SAS EG 7.1 and expand "SASMain" to see the libraries, I'm timed out and the below error is returned.

Could not establish a connection to the server on the requested machine.  Verify that the server has been started and that the host and port of the server match the client's connection information.

-------------------------- Technical Information Follows --------------------------

Exception Details:
----------------------------------------
Exception type:  SAS.EG.SDS.SDSException
Message:         Could not establish a connection to the server on the requested machine.  Verify that the server has been started and that the host and port of the server match the client's connection information.
Source:          SAS.EG.SDS.Model
Target Site:     SASWorkspace

Stack Trace:
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Model.Server.SASWorkspace()
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Views.View.DoPopulate(DisplayOperation& op)

Inner Exception Details:
Exception type:  SAS.EC.Directory.Model.SDSException
Message:         Could not establish a connection to the server on the requested machine.  Verify that the server has been started and that the host and port of the server match the client's connection information.
Source:          EC.Directory
Target Site:     Connect

Inner Exception Details:
Exception type:  System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
Source:          SASObjectManager
Target Site:     CreateObjectByLogicalNameAndLogins

Stack Trace:
   at SASObjectManager.ObjectFactoryMulti2Class.CreateObjectByLogicalNameAndLogins(String Name, Boolean synchronous, Object pIOMI, String LogicalName, LoginDef pOMRLoginDef, LoginDef pSASLoginDef, String nameValuePairs)
   at SAS.EC.Directory.Model.Server.Connect(ConnectionInfo connInfo)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Unfortunately you cannot access the Workspace Server log from EG. It is stored on a SAS Application Server drive so you would normally have to log on to the server to view it. Do you have a SAS Administrator who can check this out for you?

Since your SAS servers run on Unix its a bit harder to check out whats happening on them.

My best guess at this point is that EG is trying to establish a SAS Workspace Server session on your SAS App server and failing. One area to look at are firewall rules. Typically servers these days are set up behind firewalls and there may need to be a rule change for a non-Citrix Workspace Server connection to happen. Again a SAS Admin or your server support folks should be able to help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

So you can connect to your metadata server OK and you see in the Server List SASMain? Is this correct? Normally its called SASApp but I think it can be customised.

The errors suggest that it is the request to start a Workspace Server session on your SAS Application server is failing.

What user credentials are you supplying in your EG connection? Is it your username and password or are you using IWA?

It would help to check the Workspace Server log for further errors relating to your connection. To do this work would need to be able to remotely log on to the server. 

edmb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

That is correct. I can connect to the metadata server okay (I believe, since I can see SASMain and also Shared Folders and the tables in Shared Folders - yet unable to open either).

When using the virtual environment I first supply my Active Directory username and password to log in to the Citrix server and then load the virtual SAS EG where I connect to the SAS metadata server by entering my UNIX LDAP username and password.

When using my standalone SAS EG, I just supply the metadata server and my UNIX LDAP username and password - and the above error is returned.

Is there a way to check the Workspace Server log in the standalone SAS EG?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Unfortunately you cannot access the Workspace Server log from EG. It is stored on a SAS Application Server drive so you would normally have to log on to the server to view it. Do you have a SAS Administrator who can check this out for you?

Since your SAS servers run on Unix its a bit harder to check out whats happening on them.

My best guess at this point is that EG is trying to establish a SAS Workspace Server session on your SAS App server and failing. One area to look at are firewall rules. Typically servers these days are set up behind firewalls and there may need to be a rule change for a non-Citrix Workspace Server connection to happen. Again a SAS Admin or your server support folks should be able to help.

edmb
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you SASKiwi, my company's SAS admin team are now going to look into it, at last! I shall pass them on your comments. Many thanks 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation