BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

@SASKiwi This sounds good. How do I start a workspace server?

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

We don't have a management console installed. Is there a proc xy to start to get the workspace server running?

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @JMS 

So here is my personal take on this

- If you are a user, then it's really the responsibility of your organization/department/branch/team designated SAS Administrator to provide users with a

• Functional SAS environment (Properly set-up and running)
  • On-Boarding detailed steps (such as, How to create Connection Profile in EG)
  • Users should not take matter in their hands and try to operate server(s) and services! There should be clear separation of duties.

I think you would be better served by finding out,

• How your company manages their SAS environment?
  • Who is responsible for the up keeping of SAS  --> Once you find out, ask them for the correct way to connect!

Anything beyond this, you'll need to contact SAS Technical Support 

Good luck,

Ahmed

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

@AhmedAl_Attar the SAS-Admin only knows how to install Base-SAS.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@JMS 

Your reply plays straight into my point.

Your SAS administrator needs to update his/her skills in order to satisfy the users needs and provide functional environment.

Your SAS Admin should know your SAS Order Inventory (What products included/licensed) and Deployment Typology (Which SAS components installed where) --> Look back at the papers I sent you earlier.

Myself and others on this forum, can suggest all sorts of potential solutions/ways, but without exact knowledge of what your company has licensed and which & where the components are installed. That's why I told you to contact SAS Tech Support, because they can use your site number to extract your Software Order and figure out which products are licensed to your company.

Ahmed 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here is a screenshot of how you configure EG. A workspace server is just another fancy name for a SAS session. You will also need to have the SAS object spawner running on your SAS server to 'listen' for the the connections being requested by EG.

screenshot30.JPG

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

@SASKiwi thank you! I work with SAS for 30 yrs now, but I have no idea about these new fancy names 🙂

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

@SASKiwi If I don't have a metadata server and want to login with EG 8.2. to the workspace server, I guess I need an objectspawner? With what parameter do I start the obejctspawner?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JMS - Have a look at the instructions here:link . It depends on what OS SAS runs on. For Unix it is ObjectSpawner.sh start. If you are running on Windows then you need to install the spawner as a Windows service.

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

@SASKiwi Thank you very much! Do you have an example objectspawner.sh for unix?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JMS  - It is provided by SAS as part of your installation software.

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

Can someone post a (anonymized) object spawner configuration?

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You and your SAS Admin would be better served working with SAS Technical Support (https://www.sas.com/en_us/contact.html#global-locations)
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you follow @AhmedAl_Attar's advice and work with SAS Tech Support. It is not simply a matter of configuring the SAS object spawner there is also the issue of ensuring you have the right network ports available for communication between your SAS server and your PCs with EG.

You may also want to consider redeploying SAS in a multi-server, metadata-enabled fashion. You are missing out on a lot of functionality by not doing so. It is like you have bought a high-performance race car but are only using it to go shopping at the local supermarket. 

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm setting up a prototype for demonstration what is possible. So all this is not possible.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation