BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fishwhat
Calcite | Level 5

Are there any ways to connect to the sql server directly without using ODBC/OLEDB? We did a DB migration to Azure recently. The speed is very slow if we connect DB through ODBC now. I do some research but not find a way to do the connection without using ODBC/OLEDB. I have both SAS and SAS Entertainment on my PC. 

Thanks.

Fisher

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What SAS/ACCESS product are you using? I understand that SAS/ACCESS Interface to SQL Server uses ODBC behind the scenes anyway, so I'm not aware of any other options. I suggest you open a SAS Tech Support track to investigate further. Are all SAS and SQL Server users experiencing the same performance or is it just you?

fishwhat
Calcite | Level 5

All users have the same issue. When we connect it to the new DB, the speed is slower. That's why I am thinking if we have an alternative way to avoid connecting ODBC. My Microsoft Studio and Power BI connect to the server directly and their speeds are perfect. Also, my new DB is on Azure.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@fishwhat wrote:

All users have the same issue. When we connect it to the new DB, the speed is slower. That's why I am thinking if we have an alternative way to avoid connecting ODBC. My Microsoft Studio and Power BI connect to the server directly and their speeds are perfect. Also, my new DB is on Azure.

Distance from the database can explain a lot of performance issues.  

Where is the computer where SAS is running?

Where is the old database running?
Where is the new database running?

If everything is in AZURE them make sure they are co-located.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try running a very simple row count query. That will tell you whether the slowness is in bringing your data back to SAS on your PC or not - I'm assuming here you aren't using a remote SAS server.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation