BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi All,

I am trying to make the switch to SAS from a competitor's product for a while now, and I recently got Enterprise Guide 3.0 (9.1.3 SP4). I feel that the GUI will help me learn the code and make the switch (something I know I have to do).

For me to embrace this powerful tool, I need to be able to quickly create queries off of my data warehouse at work. I am not a PhD in Computer Science, but I typically can work thru what I need to do to get at my data. As a reference point, in the 'other' software, there is a easy gui to connect to the tables and create the SQL for my query. I typically just past the code and I am off.

Can someone please walk me through the process in SAS? To the best of my knowledge, I have SAS/ACCESS and should be ok to connect to Oracle. Since I am completely new, please feel free to talk to me like I have never seen the software.

After some searching, it seems like I should create a library, but I dont even know what that is. Quick aside - I do have administrator's guide installed too (I believe) so I probably can create a library.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Brock
5 REPLIES 5
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
The SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website has supplemental technical and conference papers - here is a Google advanced search argument (limited to searching the SAS.COM website) which reveals numerous matches to get you going:

getting started enterprise guide site:sas.com

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Brock,

If there is any way you can update to SAS Enterprise Guide 4.1 before you get too far down the process, I think you'll be happier.

EG 4.1 works just fine with SAS 9.1.3, and I think you'll find you can be more productive as you transition from point-and-click to more programming.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I will look into it - but I am not sure we have it at work. What specifically is better about 4.1 - just compatibility or different features?

Many thanks,

Brock
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Also, we actively maintain EG 4.1 and support it for our SAS 9.1.3 and SAS 8.2 customers. EG 4.1 replaced EG 3.0, so we have not issued any maintenance updates for EG 3.0 for any but the most critical of problems.

Basically, EG 4.1 gets you better support, not just from tech support but it's also what most folks in the community are using to work with SAS 9.1.3.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation