BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
andrnev
Fluorite | Level 6

I was working my way thru the paper 016-2007 to understand how to build OLE automation C# applications over my SAS Enterprise guide projects. I use Visual Studio C# Enterprise 2015 and SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1

I tried compiling the following piece of C# code

using System;
namespace test
{
    class test
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            SAS.EG.Scripting.Application EGApp = new SAS.EG.Scripting.Application();

SAS.EG.Scripting.Project EGProject = EGApp.Open("E:\\SASDocuments\\EGProjectTest.egp","");

//Close the project
            EGProject.Close();
            //Exit the application
            EGApp.Quit();
        }
    }
}

and got the following error.

Error	CS0266	Cannot implicitly convert type 'SAS.EG.Scripting.ISASEGProject' to 'SAS.EG.Scripting.Project'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

If Scripting.ISASEGProject is an interface to Scripting.Project why does it complain? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

"EGPSearch" is the root name of the example searcher project that I shared in that SAS Global Forum paper, and so its resources should be part of the EXE that you're building -- unless you've altered the name.  Something seems to be out of sync.  If you're adapting my example by modifying it in place, maybe a better approach is to create a new project from scratch and add in just the references that you need.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Check this more modern blog post and paper on the topic of SAS Enterprise Guide automation.  It points to a more complete .NET example that might help.

Here's a direct link to the paper.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
andrnev
Fluorite | Level 6

Chris,

Many thanks. I see that the AssembylResolver code points to the 4.3 installation of SAS Enterprise guide. Compilation succeeds but execution fails citing a System.IO.FileNotFoundException. Possibly this is because I have SAS Enterprise guide 7.1 installed instead of 4.3. I then looked into the registry for the equivalent 7.1 installation and surprisingly I dont find any installation of 7.1 as per the path below, root being HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

"SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.\Enterprise Guide\4.3"

There must be some issue with my SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 (32-bit) installation right?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Make sure that you're looking in the proper registry location.  64-bit Windows has two registries: a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version.  If you have EG 32-bit, then you want to make sure that you are building your .NET application as a 32-bit (x86 architecture) application.

A 32-bit EG key will be in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SAS Institute Inc.\Enterprise Guide\7.1

Chris

andrnev
Fluorite | Level 6

Ok. I do see the installation in the key you mentioned. I now modifed the SEG43AssemblyResolver.cs file to the following. I still get an System.IO.FileNotFoundException exception though. I have also posted the exception details below the code (it seems to refer to some file FileName=C:\Program Files (x86)\SASHome\EnterpriseGuide\7.1\EGPSearch43.resources.dll which does not exist

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Reflection;
using Microsoft.Win32;

namespace SAS.EG.Automation
{
    /// <summary>
    /// Class to help you use SAS Enterprise Guide classes from their installed location
    /// </summary>
    public class SEG43AssemblyResolver
    {
        #region internal members
        // these are the default install paths for our 4.3/9.2 products
        //internal static string PathToEGuideInstall = @"C:\Program Files\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.3";
        internal static string PathToEGuideInstall = @"C:\Program Files (x86)\SASHome\EnterpriseGuide\7.1";
        #endregion

/// <summary>
        /// Install the AssemblyResolver event listener and discover locations of installed assemblies
        /// </summary>
        /// <exception cref="System.IO.FileNotFoundException">Thrown when unable to locate the SAS Enterprise Guide 4.3 installed location.</exception>
        public static void Install()
        {
            // initialize EG path

RegistryKey regKey = null;
            try
            {
                // determine EG 4.3 location using InstallShield key
                //using (regKey = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.\Enterprise Guide\4.3", false))
                using (regKey = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SAS Institute Inc.\Enterprise Guide\7.1", false))
                {
                    if ((regKey != null) && (regKey.GetValue("InstallLocation") != null))
                    {
                        string path = regKey.GetValue("InstallLocation") as string;
                        if (path.Length > 0)
                            PathToEGuideInstall = path;
                    }
                    else
                        throw new System.IO.FileNotFoundException("Cannot locate SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1.  Is SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 installed?");
                }
            }
            catch
            {
                throw new System.IO.FileNotFoundException("Cannot locate SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1.  Is SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 installed?");
            }

// install Assembly Resolver event
            AppDomain currentDomain = AppDomain.CurrentDomain;
            currentDomain.AssemblyResolve += new ResolveEventHandler(currentDomain_AssemblyResolve);
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Resolve assemblies not found in the current directory
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="sender">Sender of event</param>
        /// <param name="args">contains a Name property with the assembly name needed</param>
        /// <returns>Loaded assembly, loaded by this routine</returns>
        private static Assembly currentDomain_AssemblyResolve(object sender, ResolveEventArgs args)
        {
            string resolvepath;
            // all files that are "early bound" should be in the Enterprise Guide directory
            resolvepath = PathToEGuideInstall;

string[] name = args.Name.Split(',');
            string path = System.IO.Path.Combine(resolvepath, name[0] + ".dll");
            try
            {
                Assembly foundAssembly = Assembly.LoadFile(path);
                return foundAssembly;
            }
            catch (System.IO.FileNotFoundException ex)
            {
                throw new System.IO.FileNotFoundException("Could not load assembly from expected location", path, ex);
            }
        }
    }
}

Also posting the exception message behind the System.IO.FileNotFoundException

System.IO.FileNotFoundException was unhandled
  FileName=EGPSearch43.resources, Version=4.3.0.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null
  FusionLog=""
  HResult=-2147024894
  Message=Could not load file or assembly 'EGPSearch43.resources, Version=4.3.0.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
  Source=mscorlib
  StackTrace:
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalGetSatelliteAssembly(String name, CultureInfo culture, Version version, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GetSatelliteAssembly(CultureInfo lookForCulture, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name)
       at EGPSearch.MainSearchWindow.InitializeComponent() in E:\SASDocuments\EGPSearch_Sample\EGPSearch_src\Core\MainSearchWindow.Designer.cs:line 278
       at EGPSearch.MainSearchWindow..ctor(String version) in E:\SASDocuments\EGPSearch_Sample\EGPSearch_src\Core\MainSearchWindow.cs:line 38
       at EGPSearch.Program.Main() in E:\SASDocuments\EGPSearch_Sample\EGPSearch_src\43\Program.cs:line 48
       at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
  InnerException: 
       FileName=C:\Program Files (x86)\SASHome\EnterpriseGuide\7.1\EGPSearch43.resources.dll
       HResult=-2147024894
       Message=Could not load assembly from expected location
       Source=EGPSearch43
       StackTrace:
            at SAS.EG.Automation.SEG43AssemblyResolver.currentDomain_AssemblyResolve(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args) in E:\SASDocuments\EGPSearch_Sample\EGPSearch_src\43\SEG43AssemblyResolver.cs:line 75
            at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)
       InnerException: 
            HResult=-2147024894
            Message=The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
            Source=mscorlib
            StackTrace:
                 at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)
                 at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
                 at SAS.EG.Automation.SEG43AssemblyResolver.currentDomain_AssemblyResolve(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args) in E:\SASDocuments\EGPSearch_Sample\EGPSearch_src\43\SEG43AssemblyResolver.cs:line 70
            InnerException: 
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

"EGPSearch" is the root name of the example searcher project that I shared in that SAS Global Forum paper, and so its resources should be part of the EXE that you're building -- unless you've altered the name.  Something seems to be out of sync.  If you're adapting my example by modifying it in place, maybe a better approach is to create a new project from scratch and add in just the references that you need.

andrnev
Fluorite | Level 6

Chris, thanks. I get it to compile and run without it crashing using only the AssemblyResolver installation code. I would have to reproduce the UI code to check whether the querying part works. Will close this discussion for now with many thanks for your support .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation