BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

Using SAS EG (7.13 HF8 (7.100.3.5532) (64-bit)) and have a reoccurring issue.  

I design a number of projects for my team to run on an adhoc basis and in most of these I have used programs within to help manage updates. Given I distribute the projects I dont save the individual programs contained within as I just want to send out one project.

Often my team open the project and, while all the programs are showing, often the code is missing when you double click on the icon. Similarly the Copy Files task often loses all it's information. This also happens with me. Sometimes re-opening the program brings all the code back and everything works again but is there any work around/fix/reason? 

Any help really appreciated

17 REPLIES 17
Reeza
Super User

For programs, is it possible they're being saved in a location other users may not have access to? Programs can be linked to your project but not actually embedded, at least the last time I used EG. 

The Copy Files task can't be part of a process flow, that may be what's affecting that particular task. 

@SteveNZ wrote:

Hi all,

Using SAS EG (7.13 HF8 (7.100.3.5532) (64-bit)) and have a reoccurring issue.  

I design a number of projects for my team to run on an adhoc basis and in most of these I have used programs within to help manage updates. Given I distribute the projects I dont save the individual programs contained within as I just want to send out one project.

Often my team open the project and, while all the programs are showing, often the code is missing when you double click on the icon. Similarly the Copy Files task often loses all it's information. This also happens with me. Sometimes re-opening the program brings all the code back and everything works again but is there any work around/fix/reason? 

Any help really appreciated

SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Reeza,

Thanks for responding. I'm certain its not the file location as the programs are contained within the project and not individually saved. Also the same issue happens to me as well. The only work around we have is to re-open the program, usually without shutting EG down, and running the branch from the now hopefully restored code in the program.

The programs show in the EGP project file with their label correct but opening them reveals no code inside.

Reeza
Super User
I would suggest opening a track with Tech Support.
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Check File | Project Properties | File References. The option to use relative paths is extremely useful, if you move the project and all programs, but it could cause the problem you describe, if only the project itself is opened from different locations.

SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Andreas, thanks for your response and the tip but this is not the issue I'm having. It does give me the option of changing the way I develop code for others though which is probably how I will have to do things if there is no fix.

Given all my team have the same problem I assumed it was reasonably common elsewhere and someone might have an answer.

Reeza
Super User
No, I've never seen this other than the issues I mentioned so something is wrong with either how your projects are being saved or set up. That's why you should check with Tech Support as they can walk through your installation set up.
vbylsma
Fluorite | Level 6

My team has been encountering this same issue pretty regularly (and it's infuriating). Have you found any resolution, other than saving a copy of the coded steps in a Word document? I am happy to submit a ticket to tech support, but after finding this thread wanted to see if there was any follow up. Thank you!

Reeza
Super User
Are you also running EG 7.1? The current version is 8.3
vbylsma
Fluorite | Level 6
Sorry, yes, we are! (We're federal gov so it's nearly impossible to get newer software in a timely manner lol)
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your best bet would be to open a track with SAS Tech Support. Since this is an intermittent problem then most likely you will be asked to turn on EG logging to try and capture what happens when you strike the problem. Tech Support can then diagnose the logs.

Also are you storing your EG project / code files on a network share? If yes, do you get the same problem if you store them on a local hard drive?

vbylsma
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, we use a shared drive, so we have a few team members keeping a copy on their local drive to test this exact situation. We'll get in touch with them to see if there is an answer (hopefully). Thank you!
SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, we are running 7.13 and a gov agency as well with similar issues updating. The issue is still happening and very frustrating. A work around we have is to save the individual programs within a project to a shared drive our team has access to which does work but is a pain.

The Copy Files Task we use all the time however cannot be saved locally and REGULARLY loses the source and destination directories - they just go blank causing the program to fall over. Sometimes SAS then signs users out meaning we have to start the whole program again.

Be good if a fix was found.

vbylsma
Fluorite | Level 6
Glad to hear we're not alone but also frustrated for all of us! If we find any resolution after contacting Tech Support I'll jump back in here and let you guys know. (I'm sure it'll be "Get the updated version!" so in 10 years those of us in the gov will have the fix lol)
Reeza
Super User
What happens if you try and use a version control within EG as well?
Do you have the option to upgrade EG? The current version is 8.3 so 7.13 seems quite out of date now.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation