BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

How is it that on SAS E.G. 5.1 I can change the select default options on Describe>Summary Statistics>Statistics>Basic?

My default options are as shown below.

Delete.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I think what you want to use is a Task Template -- so much easier than building a custom task!

First, select the options/stats that you want.  Then, drop down the Run button and select Create Template.

tempmenu.png

You'll specify a name for the template, then you'll have it available in your menu under Tasks->Task Templates.  It will also appear in the Task List/Browser.  Here's a screenshot from EG 6.1.  v7.1 looks a little different, but same idea.

templateseg61.png

Launch the task from the template and you'll have your customized "presets" all selected for you.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

I don't think you can. If this is something you do frequently enough perhaps accustom task is in order. 

A basic macro would be easy to code. 

sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8
I had never heard of custom tasks. I read about it, but nowhere can I find how to create a custom task.
Can you please point me in the right direction?
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Our esteemed Communities manager, Chris Hemedinger, literally "wrote the book" on the topic!

https://support.sas.com/publishing/authors/extras/61874.pdf

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I think what you want to use is a Task Template -- so much easier than building a custom task!

First, select the options/stats that you want.  Then, drop down the Run button and select Create Template.

tempmenu.png

You'll specify a name for the template, then you'll have it available in your menu under Tasks->Task Templates.  It will also appear in the Task List/Browser.  Here's a screenshot from EG 6.1.  v7.1 looks a little different, but same idea.

templateseg61.png

Launch the task from the template and you'll have your customized "presets" all selected for you.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8

Close! It looks very promising, but it isn't 100% what I want because using this method one needs to feed the "Task roles" field with variables.
I'd like a template that doesn't depend on the variables, but let's me choose them whenever I want to run this template.
The only thing I want to always be the same are the options in the screen show on my post.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Actually, if I understand you correctly, I think a Task Template is exactly what you need.  Templates store most task settings except for variable assignments, which will vary based on the input data.  You might need to select some variables to seed the template (and create a "valid" task instance), but those vars won't become part of the template that appears on your menu.

sleretrano
Quartz | Level 8
You're right. The fact that you can't create the template before selecting the variables led me to think the variables were part of the template.
Thank you very much.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

No, No, do it the hard way, build the custom task! Imagine the feeling of accomplishment you'll have afterwards!

Besides, then you'll have to buy a copy of Chris's book, and he'll move up the bestseller lists!

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation