BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ShenQicheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I tried the method that was posted in following topic,but it doesn't work.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Change-the-default-location-for-the-Files-folder...

My EG Version is 7.15, and according to the answer from SAS Technical Support, "specs has been changed since EG7.13, this method will not take effective any more.  You should config it in SAS Management Console". 

Now I am wondering that,

1. Does MYSASFILES environent variable have nothing to do with the "Files" folder location now from EG7.13?

2. Is there a way that I can change the location but not using SMC (e.g. for XCMD I can set "Set USERMODS_OPTIONS=-XCMD" in WorkspaceServer_usermods.bat) ?

Anybody has any idea on this?

Shen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Basically, the "Files" location is controlled by SMC (on a UNIX workspace server, there is no other option to control it, at least I haven't found one in the documentation), period.

That the Windows-only MYSASFILES option had any influence at all is probably a consequence of using a "Local" server, bypassing any metadata-set config.

Also note that the documentation of MYSASFILES is very sparse (compared to other SAS doc), so I would not rely on it. And as you experience, it seems to be on the way out, at least for this use.

"Overriding" the XCMD option does not seem to be the right word. My tests revealed that, when conflicting options are set in WorkspaceServer_usermods.sh/sasv9_usermods.cfg vs. SMC, the more restrictive option seems to become active. Peculiar. I'd have thought that the sequence "config file - shell script - SMC setting" works, with the last occurence to override the previous ones.

Bottom line: use SMC, with the exception of things that SMC does not have an option for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The root navigation folder for a workspace server is set in SAS Management Console.

In a metadata-controlled environment, you do have so many config and startup files that you'll have a hard time finding the correct one.

In any case, changes that can be made in SMC should be made there. Only configuration changes that must be made by editing files should be done that way.

For XCMD, there is a setting in SMC for the workspace server. Use that.

ShenQicheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks,  KurtBremser

Yes, I do understand 'In any case, changes that can be made in SMC should be made there.'

I just try to find out that, why I can override the XCMD setting in SMC by using WorkspaceServer_usermods.bat but I can not do that for the "Files" folder location setting. (First of all, does MYSASFILES environent variable still mean anything?)

Shen

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Basically, the "Files" location is controlled by SMC (on a UNIX workspace server, there is no other option to control it, at least I haven't found one in the documentation), period.

That the Windows-only MYSASFILES option had any influence at all is probably a consequence of using a "Local" server, bypassing any metadata-set config.

Also note that the documentation of MYSASFILES is very sparse (compared to other SAS doc), so I would not rely on it. And as you experience, it seems to be on the way out, at least for this use.

"Overriding" the XCMD option does not seem to be the right word. My tests revealed that, when conflicting options are set in WorkspaceServer_usermods.sh/sasv9_usermods.cfg vs. SMC, the more restrictive option seems to become active. Peculiar. I'd have thought that the sequence "config file - shell script - SMC setting" works, with the last occurence to override the previous ones.

Bottom line: use SMC, with the exception of things that SMC does not have an option for.

ShenQicheng
Obsidian | Level 7

For XCMD, my test on Windows server shows that WorkspaceServer_usermods.bat/sasv9_usermods.cfg(both under WorkspaceServer folder) overrides the setting in SMC.

Anyway, I agree the "Bottom line" you showed is the best practice to configure the SAS App server.

Shen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation