BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Chr1st1an
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am a beginner to intermediate SAS EG user and mainly work with queries since I have little programming knowledge.

I am using SAS EG 4.3 and I am facing the following problem, in my project at one of the last steps I am performing a transpose on a data set which returns sth. like this:

Product      Column1          Column2          Column3          Column4          Column5

a               CustomerZ        CustomerY     CustomerX        CustomerW     CustomerV

b                                       CustomerZ     CustomerW

c               CustomerZ        CustomerY     CustomerX        CustomerW    

d               CustomerV

In the next step I then run a query on the above result in which I perform a cats function which as result returns:

Product     Cat_Cust

a               CustomerZ_CustomerY_CustomerX_CustomW_CustomerV

b               CustomerZ_CustomerW

c               CustomerZ_CustomerY_CustomerX_CustomerW

d               CustomerV

In order to build this cats result the function looks sth. like cats(t1.column1,'_',column,'_',etc.....)

My question now is depending on which selections I make in my time period or various other prompts in the project the total number of columns on which I perform a transpose might change which then can lead to the project failing.

Is there a way how I can tell SAS in the cats function to use whaterver number of columns are available in the previous data set and seperate them with '_' ?

Thanks a lot for any help on this,

Christian

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Probably you need a pre step that will figure out which columns you have.

One way to do it is to query dictionary.columns and store the result in a macro variable.

proc sql;

select name into: columns separated by ','

from dictionary.columns

where libname = 'YOURLIB' and

name not in('PRODUCT','OTHER_COLUMN');

Then use it with catx:

catx('_',&COLUMNS.)

Data never sleeps
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Easier with DATA step than with SQL as you can use variable lists.

data want;

set have;

cat_cust = catx('_', of column: );

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation