BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jflycn
Calcite | Level 5

When I right click "explore" on a data table, SAS Enterprise Guide gave me "The active server does not support workspace pooling".

When I right click "explore" on a data table which is included in the project tree, SAS Enterprise Guide gave me "The selected dataset cannot be shown in the Data Explorer because the z/OS server is not configured in a way that is compatible with this function. Contact SAS Technical Support for more information."

However, I can double click to open the data table from the project tree.

I Googled and cannot find anything. I am talking about regular SAS data libraries which sit on a network hard drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fifthand57th
SAS Employee

Hi,

See this section of the 9.4 EBI Desktop Administration Guide: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bidaag/69032/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0oyqlm9apfiktn157j...

Using Data Explorer and Quick Stats in SAS Enterprise Guide requires the use of client-managed pooled SAS Workspace Servers.

5thandfifty7th 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
fifthand57th
SAS Employee

Hi,

See this section of the 9.4 EBI Desktop Administration Guide: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bidaag/69032/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0oyqlm9apfiktn157j...

Using Data Explorer and Quick Stats in SAS Enterprise Guide requires the use of client-managed pooled SAS Workspace Servers.

5thandfifty7th 🙂

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG's data explorer does not currently support z/OS servers.  "Exploring" data (in the EG data explorer) and opening data (in the EG data grid) are two separate features.  The EG data explorer uses client-driven workspace pooling (multiple workspace sessions) to execute the interactive "exploration" features (filters, sorts, quick stats) in parallel.  This client-driven workspace pooling isn't supported with z/OS servers, thus the EG data explorer isn't supported with z/OS servers.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

jflycn
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you guys.

@fifthand57th Does this mean I have to setup the pooling to just explore a data table? This sounds odd, because I can just double click to view a data table in old PC SAS.

@CaseySmith I didn't want to use z/OS server. That's just an odd message SEG gave me which I have no idea.

Is there a simple way can let me explore data tables in SEG like in old PC SAS?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

"Explore Data" is a richer view of data that presents summary stats with some plots incorporated.  But you can always use the built-in data grid -- simply "Open" your data by double-clicking to add to your project, or right-click->Open on data that you've already added.  I've discussed some of the new grid view features here.

For the deeper insight that you might be missing from "Explore", try the Describe->Characterize Data task.  Or the Graph->Scatterplot Matrix for numerical data.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jflycn
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry for misusing the word "explore". I was refering to simply "open" the data table and see the spreadsheet kind of view of the data. I know the way you described, but that will add the data table to the project tree, which is kind of annoying when you do not need that. I read from somewhere that right click the "Explore" will allow me to view the data table without adding it to the project tree, and I can change the default action of double click from "open" to "explore". But somehow SEG gave me the strange errors I posted on the first post. 

I just realized that, to "explore" data tables, I can simply open a blank SEG window and "open" data tables to view them. Or maybe I should just do it in PC SAS, instead of SEG.

Thank you guys.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation